Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,354   Online: 725

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'm working on the issues.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format

www.thinknegative.com.au - darkroom with workshop/courses program, lab facility

I have filled in the survey, yes do contact me. I am situated in Sydney, Australia.

I have been running a community darkroom since 2007 (www.thinknegative.com.au) and have just expanded in January of this year. We have been building a community of darkroom users (b+w only) for years now and would love to see some support from manufacturers. I maintain the space and the whole thing was funded by me. It has though only survived as a community darkroom through dedicated users. Users need support too and so I act as an assistant and mentor where needed. All ages, all welcome.
    I have public liability insurance also, no problem there.

Having said this, you can't just let anyone off the street come in and help themselves - best way to curtail this issue was/is to have an intro session and then go from there. I know many people who want to use the medium and get discouraged only because they are not taught how to use the materials properly and don't know what questions to ask~!

Thank you Ilford! Do make contact!

Enrico Scotece
    www.thinknegative.com.au
    Think Negative - Analogue Photographic Arts
    www.thinknegative.com.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I filled out the survey.
    My "darkroom" is a bathroom, and I'd be leery of having strangers over. However, I often loan out developing equipment and found this has been quite helpful to people getting their feet wet. I also give them what little training I am capable of and then refer them to APUG.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    PE - you can rent your space with a waver or terms of use. Usually insurance companies frown upon 'business' use in your home. You can buy separate 'business' liability coverage - but most home insurance wont cover your photo-stuff if they find out you are using it for business.

dw
    Makes ya wanna run right out and hug an Insurance Agent don't it! I'm about insurance broke now and do not need anymore premium notices. I'm thinking of joining a local club in my hometown and then maybe let just members I knew use my darkroom. The club just started about three months ago and is just about 100% digital, but I'm sure film would be welcome. We'll see I guess!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel similar hesitation in letting strangers into my home. My home darkroom is in a basement crawl space. Not so inviting. And there's always things that can go missing.

However, I can easily convert my studio in the city into a temporary darkroom for educational purposes. And I think that would be great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New guy here. I just started shooting and developing 4x5 (Ilford Delta 100). When I say just started I mean just started like I've shot 8 sheets of film, screwed up 6 during developing because I didn't put the film in the tank right and the sheets laid on top of one another, and of the two negatives that I managed to develop right I got one good scan and print. One was grossly over-exposed. The exposure issue was the result of bad habits picked up from shooting digital since 2006. I figure it can only get better from here.

I'm really glad that I started with Ilford. I like a company that supports their users.

And I filled out the survey. I said Maybe on the "would I use someone else's darkroom" part. Seems to me a darkroom is like my reloading bench in that it is a very personal space. I wouldn't want some stranger in there moving my stuff around.
    It's more fun to unwrap a gift if you don't know what's inside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm really glad that I started with Ilford. I like a company that supports their users.

And I filled out the survey. I said Maybe on the "would I use someone else's darkroom" part. Seems to me a darkroom is like my reloading bench in that it is a very personal space. I wouldn't want some stranger in there moving my stuff around.[/QUOTE]

Very good comparison! Have somebody pour Winchester 231 pistol powder back into your Winchester 785 container for rifle powder. Your .30-06 will never be the same! Of course your body won't either.
    I'd only let somebody I knew and trusted work alone in my darkroom since I have some very nice collectible cameras in there along with some fine enlarging lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format

something here...

survey done...

there's something in this idea... the couchsurfing of darkrooms! resource for newbies to film? directory of darkroom buddies? somehow sharing knowledge will make a difference. very much worth pursuing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the initiative, Simon. I've taken the survey as well.

My darkroom is in a temporary location at my office and has some access restrictions. I may set up a permanent one soon at a more convenient location - which I'd be happy to share. I don't mind listing my darkroom though.

Moreover, I will be very willing to share my knowledge and get like minded people together for discussions.

I moderate a group called BangBW in Bangalore, we are a group of B&W photographers that meet each week for a shoot and discussions. Our present problem is availability of Ilford film, chemistry and paper. it is not always convenient to order from overseas or wait for a friend to carry on their return to India. It would be great if Ilford can address this problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Makes ya wanna run right out and hug an Insurance Agent don't it! I'm about insurance broke now and do not need anymore premium notices. I'm thinking of joining a local club in my hometown and then maybe let just members I knew use my darkroom. The club just started about three months ago and is just about 100% digital, but I'm sure film would be welcome. We'll see I guess!
    You're a little harsh on insurers....don't forget that there is a potential liability to anyone, even friends, visiting your home for any reason should they have an accident. Add in if anything went wrong in a darkroom (water + electricity? Chemicals...dermatitis?), you may be glad of proper insurance cover. Small risk, I know, but Sodd's law......

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin