Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1102

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I filled out the survey. I don't really think anyone really wants to share the bathroom with my wife and I.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

In London,membership GBP 99pa,with darkrooms, and studio group shoots from GBP15:

http://thecameraclub.co.uk/facilities/

Shooter
    35mm
    So, this is kinda like couchsurfing with darkrooms?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've filled out the survey as well .

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the people who don't want to lend out their private darkrooms I still think you should consider supervised access - ie tutoring newbies and getting them into it.

For the overall survey I think it should also including teaching how to self develop b&w, c-41, and e-6 film. This is quite easy to setup in a kitchen somewhere etc and will only strengthen the analog route by getting more people self sufficient and started.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    For the people who don't want to lend out their private darkrooms I still think you should consider supervised access - ie tutoring newbies and getting them into it.

For the overall survey I think it should also including teaching how to self develop b&w, c-41, and e-6 film. This is quite easy to setup in a kitchen somewhere etc and will only strengthen the analog route by getting more people self sufficient and started.
    Both very good points. I've given supervised access to my darkrooms on numerous occasions over the years, the amount of actual supervision is down to the skill of the other people using it, and how much help they need.

I think much of it is about teaching people how to be independant in terms of being able to work on their own but then there's another lement that not everyone has the space to have their own darkroom and many don't realise film processing can be done almost anywhere.

Simon's point about giving support to community darkrooms is good but many have closed (in the UK) and the costs of setting up something new is high, on the other hand some of us could expand our darkrooms to give spare capacity that could be shared with others. In my own case I was planning to open a workshop facility (in Greece) but the downturn in the property market put paid to the plans. I'm building a new temporary darkroom but it could easily have an extra pair of enlargers - equipment's not an issue I have it in storage, when I buy somewhere new I will put in teaching facilities and good darkroom space with a view to darkroom rental.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, even here in photographic central, the community darkroom finally went out of business a month ago =/
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You do mean Toronto of course. now shut down of darkrooms to report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Unfortunately, even here in photographic central, the community darkroom finally went out of business a month ago =/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I'd like to see HARMAN invest their money in making film scanners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had 2 women who regularly used my darkroom. I knew them, so it wasn't an issue, but I understand the hesitance some people have. In fact, I often left them keys, so they could work when I wasn't home. They knew what they were doing, and cleaned the darkroom well...

On a semi-related note, I sometimes wonder why people don't list their locations. Often, I see a "first time developing film-what do I need" post, and would give a tank/reels/ chemistry, if I knew they lived near me.

I also think it would be great if Ilford's ad department would use regular people to promote film/darkroom use. Photos of people, in their home darkrooms (be it permanent or temporary), with text explaining why they still work with traditional materials, and why they choose Ilford products. Most non-film people think this is expensive and complicated. They need to know it's not.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin