Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,376   Online: 972

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For me, a hobby B&W guy, the biggest issue is scanning. Get a negative to be developed, scanned and printed is 15£, which is huge money.

Available, "high" quality and cheap scanner: this is my priority, darkroom is number two.

Scanning is the reason that I don't develop myself, but frankly, 5-6£ for scanning a negative is too much.
    If it'd be cheaper or less painful, I'd shoot much-much more.

Darkroom would be nice to make some good prints. But scanning is the first issue: scanning is like contact prints before digital age.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsaba1981 View Post
    For me, a hobby B&W guy, the biggest issue is scanning. Get a negative to be developed, scanned and printed is 15£, which is huge money.

Available, "high" quality and cheap scanner: this is my priority, darkroom is number two.

Scanning is the reason that I don't develop myself, but frankly, 5-6£ for scanning a negative is too much.
    If it'd be cheaper or less painful, I'd shoot much-much more.

Darkroom would be nice to make some good prints. But scanning is the first issue: scanning is like contact prints before digital age.
    Generally agreed, but did you know you know you a: do not need an enlarger for a contact sheet, b: doing a contact sheet on typical 8x10 RC paper is quite fast, provided you can get a room light tight and work out a reasonable light timing.

In other news:

Survey done!

Man, I just can't appreciate Ilford enough. There's nothing like supporting a company who's entire intent is on QUALITY products and not absolutely steered by the bottom line. This is such a rarity in today's economy and big business commodification of absolutely everything. Thank you Simon, and thank you Ilford! (Thank you Kodak, Fuji, and Agfa as well).
    Last edited by clayne; 07-18-2013 at 06:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wish there was a "I develop in my sink and wouldn't mind teaching newbs how to process in a tank" option. Haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I wish there was a "I develop in my sink and wouldn't mind teaching newbs how to process in a tank" option. Haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly what I do on occasions, particulary when abroad. There is a need to show people how to process in limited space, I've regularly processed while camping as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Filled out the survey. I would like to teach newbies and let them use my darkroom.
    Would also like to combine it with a small pinhole workshop as well.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Simon's point about giving support to community darkrooms is good but many have closed (in the UK)
    Not sure if it would be classed as a community darkroom but the only one around here is the one at Dimbola Lodge (where we did the albumen printing workshop). It doesn't get used a lot which is a pity.

With a bit of extra funding (lottery money or something similar) it could be useful. I would probably use it myself if it was affordable, despite having an enlarger at home.

I would love to see Ilford sponsoring Dimbola. It seems very elitist in its management at the moment. Sometimes you would think the management are running a top London museum/gallery by their attitude. It needs to become more of a community based establishment.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-18-2013 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nobody in their right mind would want to be shut into a small dark room with me (where I have ready access to sharp things like scissors... and a guillotine! :-p), nevertheless, I was happy to fill out your survey.

Your presence here, Simon, is a very big part of why so many of us love Ilford products and do whatever we can to support the company.

Shooter
    35mm
    EDIT: but I can see how a darkroom is a very personal thing (home ones) and being one of the super tidy kind of person with my stuff, even if I had a darkroom I might not want to share it as probably no one would have as clean a room as I would haha.

I've processed enough by now that my dev tanks and reels should show some signs of use, but they look brand new.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

In this respect, we are very similar. Control of your equipment and processes is the best way to ensure the quality of the end-product.
    Raising the profile of community darkroom facilities is an excellent idea, and perhaps some form of support from Harman/Ilford would be possible?
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took the survey. My darkroom is my own little slice of personal space that I get to be alone in and relax with some good tunes blasting while printing. I teach in a school darkroom throughout the week and I am fine with that. With my own setup that I have painstakingly built up over the years I would be concerned with total newbies using it as I've seen all the mistakes one can make with chemicals and papers. That being said I have shown close friends and family the process, though I never left them alone unsupervised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

nice, but...

Simon - While this is strictly my opinion - Those of us that have darkrooms available for outside use, usually end up dumping the idea. Why? No interest.

The service we offer provides no use of a darkroom for the processed film [B&W-slides], yet volume continues to go down.

We have a "full-blown" B&W neg darkroom. [We even recently sold our 1840 10x10.] It is fully equipped: ILFORD-RC printer, fibre-print dryer, full sized darkroom sink, durst 138, winglynch and enterprise film processors + rack and 3.5gal-tanks & SS-reels. 35mm~8x10 neg film capable[film process]. to 20x24 print capable.

We have watched a few darkroom rental places 'close' in recent years, and a few that are in the same position as us. We would rent our darkroom out, for certain! The problem is, no one would pay to use it..

At least in Denver, I don't see this ever working. Id be happy to rent out our neg/print darkroom. I think it would just sit empty.. as it has the day we closed it down - no one wanted to pay the price for the service.

I have always advocated, that who is left in the photo industry should group together to save what is left. It's turned into a dog-eat-dog arena and the god-complex scenario..

..nice idea though. It is good to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Apugger,

We recently invited followers of our facebook page to take part in a survey which 1,700 photographers completed on-line, it told us amongst other things that well over 30% of those who took part have no access to a darkroom, but would love to have access, if it was available near where they live.

The survey was designed to try and understand just how many photographers shoot film but are unable to access darkroom facilities. It is our belief that without darkroom access those shooting film don't enjoy the craft experience to the full extent, and of course miss out on the magic of the darkroom.

We want to try and create a worldwide web site, which HARMAN will invest money and resource in, which brings those with a darkroom into contact with those who do not, our belief and experience of APUG members is that they would wish to support such an idea and I have inserted a link below for you to take part in a survey that asks key questions. We want to hear and understand your views and opinions and test out our 'concept' in the real world, so if you think the idea is great, or mad ! please take the survey, all individual feedback is kept confidential but we will of course share an overview of our findings with the APUG community in due course.

If we go ahead with the idea we intend to give ABSOLUTE TOP BILLING to the amazing people who offer HIRE DARKROOMS and COMMUNITY darkrooms around the world who have already done so much for supporting our craft.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/APUGsurvey

With Many Thanks

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin