Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,960   Online: 982

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon,
    I filled out the survey and found it geared entirely toward the home-based darkroom. Nothing wrong with that, but in your introduction you mention "community" darkrooms, too. I use a community darkroom (local art gallery--and a mighty fine one at that without getting into details). How do community darkrooms fit into your plans? I'm sure my local art gallery would be happy to welcome analog photographers and to list its facilities through your project if it was approached. Community darkrooms avoid the liability issue and the issue of having strangers (or non-strangers if the that is the case) coming into one's home.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a permanent darkroom so I print rarely and can't learn fast enough.

Perhaps a helpful extension to the idea would be a "mentoring scheme" so that rather than just give access to a darkroom, supervised access with an element of tuition is on offer.

I'm convinced a couple of hours a month from someone who really knows how to make a good print (not necessarily a "master printer" ) would make a big difference to the speed with which craft can be acquired.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    please remember : HIRE DARKROOMS and COMMUNITY DARKROOMS will get number one TOP BILLING now and forever...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    You have hit the nail on the head here Simon. Given the many reservations expressed by folks about sharing their own personal darkrooms, I really think the best way for this idea to work is to focus on supporting existing plus establishing NEW Community and Hire darkrooms. The shared spaces might not get as well looked after as some of our personal darkrooms, but at least it encourages the craft and it supports ILFORD through increased sales.

!!! Congratulations ILFORD and Simon on such lateral thinking !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking - how much would be ok price for two-three hours of darkroom rent? Let's say in some photography club, with all equipment except chemistry included. USA or somewhere in west Europe?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I was thinking - how much would be ok price for two-three hours of darkroom rent? Let's say in some photography club, with all equipment except chemistry included. USA or somewhere in west Europe?
    The open darkroom time at the school where I teach costs $7/hour. This includes hardware and chemistry, but not paper, film or formal instruction. The darkroom supervisor is there to answer basic questions, but does not "teach" during that time. For formal instruction we offer dedicated classes that carry their own tuition fees.

Frankly, for the purposes of this effort, I think it would be better for Ilford to collect contact information, location, and pricing information about as many community/rental darkrooms as possible, publish this information in a central resource (on the Ilford website, perhaps???), and do some marketing outreach to said facilities.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

We really do appreciate all the feedback ( and other related ideas ) a big thank you, we are filtering, understanding, and seeing other possibilities as well.

Please keep it coming the more 'opinions' and thoughts the better.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whilst I would not want to let my darkroom actually be used by others, nor is it really practical, I might be prepared to carrying out an occasional "demonstration" to a newbie who was starting from absolute scratch. Perhaps there could be a register of Ilford "users" who could, through Ilford, sign up that they were prepared to do this. A newbie might then ask Ilford if there are any registered users in their area prepared to give a demonstration. Ilford could then pass on the contact details for the newbie to contact directly. Ilford might even give out a little "incentive" to the registered users in return for this service. I think as this would be a totally uncommercial arrangement, it would not require insurances etc - no different from asking a mate from a club you might belong to to come round and see what you are doing. Also, using a central registration service could allow the registered user to state how often they were prepared to do a demonstration, which Ilford could keep track of.

problem I suppose is that I might not just be a registered user - I might also be an axe murderer and Ilford might send some unwitting victim to my dungeon................

Just a thought. Prepared to be shot down!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The open darkroom time at the school where I teach costs $7/hour. This includes hardware and chemistry, but not paper, film or formal instruction. The darkroom supervisor is there to answer basic questions, but does not "teach" during that time. For formal instruction we offer dedicated classes that carry their own tuition fees.

Frankly, for the purposes of this effort, I think it would be better for Ilford to collect contact information, location, and pricing information about as many community/rental darkrooms as possible, publish this information in a central resource (on the Ilford website, perhaps???), and do some marketing outreach to said facilities.
    Yes but that's limited to students... once you're out of the school you're f-ed, or if you've never been to that (or any) school you're completely F-ed... unless I'm wrong, but I sure know that the darkrooms around here (about 30 minutes away at least) only let students in...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Usually if you sign up for a night course you can get access.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yes but that's limited to students... once you're out of the school you're f-ed, or if you've never been to that (or any) school you're completely F-ed... unless I'm wrong, but I sure know that the darkrooms around here (about 30 minutes away at least) only let students in...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Usually if you sign up for a night course you can get access.
    Bob, thanks it's important to remember many colleges have under used facilities. I need to check my local college to see if the darkrooms are still there because I could use them and I'm on very good terms with the relevant Vice principal, I was head of another Department (long story) and turned a failing project around and we won awards.

I have planned to see if I can use the Colleg facilities but family issues have taken a toll. Essenyially most colleges in the UK run full time dat time courses and recreational veneing classes the darkroom was used twicw a week when I was there, still the case 2 years ago. So locally there's two other nights available a week (they close early on Fridays)/

Ian

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin