Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,370   Online: 1042

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be happy to teach tray and reel processing of B&W and color as well as color printing (If I can get the chemistry). I would be happy to let people use the darkroom as well for the cost of utilities (water and electricity).

The problem is that there is a liability issue with my home owners insurance. I believe that everyone in the US at least, has the same issue. I am willing to try to resolve this issue, but if someone uses my darkroom and my chemistry and is injured, I am responsible.

Does anyone have an answer to that?

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Usually if you sign up for a night course you can get access.
    That's more than $7/hour though, that's the point, to get there and make it financially do-able...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    depends upon how much you use the facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    That's more than $7/hour though, that's the point, to get there and make it financially do-able...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    depends upon how much you use the facilities.
    Fairly certain most people who don't have a darkroom to begin with are not printing enough and not prepared to go from none to enough printing per semester to spend over $1,000 on a single class and still make it worth it.

Remember I live in CT, in Fairfield County, second most expensive place to live in the whole US...

So school classes are also expensive.

Even other places where they are probably $600 a semester is still too much just for darkroom access. Especially if they don't actually need to attend the class.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually if you sign up for a night course you can get access.
    You can always volunteer to be a lab ........... well, let's just say helper.

You cannot imagine how much I learned from Carnie by merely observing and flipping prints in developer. Your learning curve gets pretty steep when the first thing he gets you to do is flip a 20 x 24 print which will go for a tidy penny when completed.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    You can always volunteer to be a lab ........... well, let's just say helper.

You cannot imagine how much I learned from Carnie by merely observing and flipping prints in developer. Your learning curve gets pretty steep when the first thing he gets you to do is flip a 20 x 24 print which will go for a tidy penny when completed.
    Lol how one my 20x24's Don't sell period? LOL

Shooter
    35mm

Darkroom available in Vancouver.

I filled in the survey, and explained that I live in an artist live/work space (Vancouver zoning allows business licences for these units) and that it would be very inconvenient for me to give access to my darkroom (about 60% of my total area). As well, I am running a business here, and my darkroom is in daily use.
    However, I am involved with a film maker's cooperative that provides public access to a darkroom. The Cineworks Analog Annex darkroom is now open to the public for a drop in fee for a 3 hour session ($8 for non-members, $5 for Cineworks members). This is a non-profit organization partly staffed by volunteers, so the fees are only to recover the cost of the chemicals supplied. The darkroom is,at present, available on Tuesday nights, but access will be expanded if enough people are interested.
    Contact Ariel or Zoe at:
    annex@cineworks.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've answered the survey, and as most others I'm reluctant to let the general public into my home to use my rather small and cramped darkroom. I might let someone use it to learn the basics (under my supervision), but would probably suggest the use of the only open darkroom I know of in Oslo, http://www.cyanstudio.no
    Last edited by BirgerA; 07-20-2013 at 02:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Regards

Birger A.

------------------

Idealism is easy on a full stomach

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhalides View Post
    The Cineworks Analog Annex darkroom is now open to the public for a drop in fee for a 3 hour session ($8 for non-members, $5 for Cineworks members).
    8$/3hrs. That's a great deal!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE - you can rent your space with a waver or terms of use. Usually insurance companies frown upon 'business' use in your home. You can buy separate 'business' liability coverage - but most home insurance wont cover your photo-stuff if they find out you are using it for business.

dw

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would be happy to teach tray and reel processing of B&W and color as well as color printing (If I can get the chemistry). I would be happy to let people use the darkroom as well for the cost of utilities (water and electricity).

The problem is that there is a liability issue with my home owners insurance. I believe that everyone in the US at least, has the same issue. I am willing to try to resolve this issue, but if someone uses my darkroom and my chemistry and is injured, I am responsible.

Does anyone have an answer to that?

PE

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin