Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,392   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

IMPORTANT : New Initiative From HARMAN technology Limited : APUG Feedback Requested

Dear Apugger,

We recently invited followers of our facebook page to take part in a survey which 1,700 photographers completed on-line, it told us amongst other things that well over 30% of those who took part have no access to a darkroom, but would love to have access, if it was available near where they live.

The survey was designed to try and understand just how many photographers shoot film but are unable to access darkroom facilities. It is our belief that without darkroom access those shooting film don't enjoy the craft experience to the full extent, and of course miss out on the magic of the darkroom.

We want to try and create a worldwide web site, which HARMAN will invest money and resource in, which brings those with a darkroom into contact with those who do not, our belief and experience of APUG members is that they would wish to support such an idea and I have inserted a link below for you to take part in a survey that asks key questions. We want to hear and understand your views and opinions and test out our 'concept' in the real world, so if you think the idea is great, or mad ! please take the survey, all individual feedback is kept confidential but we will of course share an overview of our findings with the APUG community in due course.

If we go ahead with the idea we intend to give ABSOLUTE TOP BILLING to the amazing people who offer HIRE DARKROOMS and COMMUNITY darkrooms around the world who have already done so much for supporting our craft.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/APUGsurvey

With Many Thanks

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An excellent idea and needed as well. I've filled out the survey.

I already help new users on an adhoc basis it's fun to help others get started.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Filled in the questionnaire but had reservations about other people using my facilities.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Filled in the questionnaire but had reservations about other people using my facilities.
    Me too. Mine's in the loft so I'd be worried someone would break a leg on the ladder or fall through the ceiling!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Filled in the questionnaire. I think it's a great way to preserve a craft and keep a market open. I don't have a permanent darkroom at the moment, I have to install it in my kitchen for a weekend and then unpack it. I am looking for a space where I can set it up permanently. Once that is done I'd be happy to share facilities and knowledge.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm happy to share knowledge any time, but my home darkroom is not accessible except through my primary living areas. I'd be more comfortable letting strangers (properly vetted and supervised) use it if I were able to give them access to it and it only. Maybe in my next house.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Not putting a damper on the idea, but don't overlook that there may be insurance/liability issues in letting other people use home darkrooms, particularly (but not exclusively) if a charge is made.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'll fill the survey out too.

EDIT: but I can see how a darkroom is a very personal thing (home ones) and being one of the super tidy kind of person with my stuff, even if I had a darkroom I might not want to share it as probably no one would have as clean a room as I would haha.

I've processed enough by now that my dev tanks and reels should show some signs of use, but they look brand new. Haha

It's a really great idea, if nothing else it brings us in touch with others we might not normally know were right down the street from each other.

Thanks Harman/Ilford!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same reservations about sharing my home darkroom.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not putting a damper on the idea, but don't overlook that there may be insurance/liability issues in letting other people use home darkrooms, particularly (but not exclusively) if a charge is made.
    Survey done, and this is one of the reasons I could not share my darkroom, apart from the fact it is very small and my own personal space.

However, I am sure Simon et al are fully aware of this - H&S in the UK is somewhat of a hot topic most of the time. What may however be a reasonable outcome is that a database of accessible darkrooms could appear, and there will be a few, that would otherwise remain unknown.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin