Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,808   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Kentmere Fineprint vc fb Replacement

Simmon tells us Ilford is discontinuing Kentmere Fineprint vc fb. I am frustrated and disappointed. I will buy enough to finish the series I am working on. Then I will need something new. Before I start blindly experimenting with what is left on the market, I thought I would draw on the vast knowledge of the membership.

I started printing using Kodak Polymax vc fb and was very happy with it until Kodak stopped offering paper. On the recommendation of former Polymax users I started using Kentmere Fineprint vc fb. What is that five years or more? I have happily used Kentmere Fineprint vc fb. I buy 4-5, 50 sheet boxes of 16x20 a year, cutting it in half for 7x17 contact printing or using it whole for 8x10 enlargements. I also buy 2-3, 50 sheet boxes of 11x14 for small prints of 8x10 negatives. I use Ilford Multi grade developer.

Is there anything (vc fb) out there similar? Is there anything out there that gives similar results (a look, an ease of process), if used with different chemicals or filters. Is there something I should be asking, but haven’t? Is there something else about my process I should mention?

Thank you for the suggestions you have.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Thomas. Do we know who makes Oriental Seagull, how stable the source is? I have a vague memory that Oriental Seagull was once very popular, then discontinued and later brought back in a changed form that exists today. Is there any truth to that memory?

I want to find a product that has a strong possibility of being with us for a while. Nothing is certain. At the age of 73, I hope I have a strong possibility of being with us for a while.

Thank you,

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just switched from Kentmere Fineprint vc to Adox MCC 110. I think that you will like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,

I think you should try to make Ilford MGIV work for you, then. With a cool tone developer, and tweaked film development to increased negative CI, you should be able to get a similar look to the Kentmere. Both are a little bit obscure in the shadows if I remember about Kentmere correctly.
    You can also overexpose your print just a hair when you print, and then use pure bleach afterward to crisp up the whites.

I don't know who makes the Seagull paper anymore. I think their warmtone is Foma, but Foma does not, as far as I know, make a cool tone paper.

Sorry I can't help better. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Thank you Thomas. Do we know who makes Oriental Seagull, how stable the source is? I have a vague memory that Oriental Seagull was once very popular, then discontinued and later brought back in a changed form that exists today. Is there any truth to that memory?

I want to find a product that has a strong possibility of being with us for a while. Nothing is certain. At the age of 73, I hope I have a strong possibility of being with us for a while.

Thank you,

John
    When Kodak stopped making Polymax FA I switched to Ilford MGIV, which is a wonderful paper. A few years ago I did a portfolio with Oriental VC FB and worked a lot with the paper. Never had any quality issues and it was very consistent. It is a very nice neutral toned paper. It seems to tone more heavily in Selenium (gets more purple) than MGIV (or Polymax), which can be rewarding if desired, so toning needs to be watched carefully. One reliable source told me it is manufactured by Ilford, but I have no way of confirming that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wait...what? They're stopping Fineprint? I just ordered a bunch for testing, including some 20x24...DOH!

I'm sticking with Ilford from now on. I am getting sick of all this learning, then disappearing business.
    K.S. Klain

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    but Foma does not, as far as I know, make a cool tone paper.
    What about Fomabrom Variant?
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/photo...-variabel.html
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    I wouldn't call that cool tone. My prints come up fairly warm on that paper.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...y-limited.html
    Sorry. I should have referenced Simon's discontinuing notice in the original post. As I said I was frustrated.

I should also mention that I am allergic to ammonia so selenium toning is not a factor in my choice of paper.

John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin