Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,040   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the late 80s/early 90s (IIRC) Kodak had a QC issue with Kodak Gold 100 - no yellow layer. Meant you had to make sure you CC'd correctly when printing the film. You could definitely see it when you looked at the negs, which was how I picked it up originally, and reported to Kodak. (Another staff member was lucky enough to land the first roll we got through - they were rather confused at the results, and quite concerned they had done something wrong!)

Kodak confirmed the problem and where in the process of identifying the batch number - their rep arrived about a week later, identified every single roll, and we ended up with over 500 rolls being replaced.

The average customer wouldn't have any inkling of the problem, if the lab was printing it correctly, just meant you had to be extra observant when selecting the channel to print by.

Shooter
    35mm
    rich815, your comment on pinholes with Adox stopped me in my tracks. Way back in the late 1970s I had bought some of the original Adox from Freestyle and was amazed to see several negatives with pinholes after processing. I had 'convinced' myself that it must have been something that I had done wrong but I could not imagine what (too strong Stop, abrasions?). I read somewhere that Adox was then manufactured using manual hanging procedures like in the very old days which could have compromised quality control).

Ian Grant, although I had often suspected this, your confirmation thereof asks me to ask anyone 'WHY'? Yes, why are film sizes slightly smaller than paper sizes? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some weird issues with Rollei films, Superpan in particular. Scratched base and film rolled backwards and attached to the wrong end of the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Ian Grant, although I had often suspected this, your confirmation thereof asks me to ask anyone 'WHY'? Yes, why are film sizes slightly smaller than paper sizes? - David Lyga
    I hadn't realised for years. It's because plate sizes and paper sizes were the same but in the early days plate holders took adapters to use film as a consequence films needed to be slightly smaller to fit inside the adapters.

A sheet of 10x8 paper is a fraction too wide for a mordern 10x8 DDS film holder. J&C had Chinese LF film cut to paper sizes

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I experienced a bit of what appeared to be cracking/line issues with Foma 200 a few years back, but after those rolls (which were replaced by Freestyle free of charge), no issues with any other film.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Several years ago I bought some J & C film in 4 X 5 and 120 and turned out to be Shanghai film. I had to trim 1/32" on the long side to fit in my bag mag sheaths and standard film holders. In case anyone still is using this film, rated the 4 X 5 @ 50asa and the 120 @ 100asa. Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Only film issues I have had lately was some numbers printing through on EFKE made film. By comparing the film to the backing paper I confirmed that the transfer must have occurred when the film was in storage as the locations corresponded to where the paper and film were touching before it was first unrolled.

I have also found a problem with some Lucky SHD 100 in 120 size. The film was attached to the backing paper with a sticker which can come free. I have a couple of rolls of this left, and I will have to repair them by replacement of the sticker with masking tape in the dark.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin