Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,745   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

quality control with the various (worldwide) B&W films

Are there any issues with quality control to be wary of from the multitude of manufacturers worldwide, including rebadged items? I am talking of either single roll or long rolls (35mm). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Fuji, Ilford and Kodak rarely any QC issues. Others sometimes, some
    more than others.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma and Fotoimpex (Adox) are excellent as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Foma and Fotoimpex (Adox) are excellent as well.

Ian
    Disagree. I've had a number of Adox 120 rolls with pinholes and such.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I am talking of either single roll or long rolls (35mm). - David Lyga
    I am assuming that your long rolls(35mm) are bulk loading 100ft rolls and single rolls are 36 frame cassettes? Am I right? If so then the bulk loading 100 foot rolls made and offered by certainly Ilford and Kodak are the same film rolls as used in the 36 frame cassettes so on that basis any quality issues should be the same for each unless there is evidence that putting film into 36 frame cassettes creates extra problems for some makers but not others

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Fotoimpex didn't make EFKE films. Most of the reports of bad batches of EFKE films were at the time Agfa had just closed their consumer division and J&C were distributing EFKE films in the US and taking even defective product, J&C no longer exist - their trading standards were not high. They tried to sell Calbe RO9 repackaged as Rodinal and had to take back a lot of Chinese LF film cut to paper sizes not film sizes (the film sizes are a touch smaller).

I'm referring to the new films made in Germany by Fotoimpex under the Adox brand name

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-18-2013 at 03:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post

OP asked about 35mm. Where I seldom remember to have read about heavy complains, in the last few years.

120 is another kind of a beast and "the chinese fornitures" locate themselves at lower end in this rooster...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never used the newer Adox films, the ones made in Germany, but I have used a large amount of Foma film, and agree wit Ian Grant, Fomapan QC is pretty good I have yet to have any Foma film,120 or 35mm, with QC problems.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some isolated cases of pinholes in ACROS 100 in 120 format have been reported but I think this is more to do with inappropriate storage/humidity than a fault with the emulsion itself. I had pinholes in two rolls of ACROS 100 bought on-spec in the shop a few years ago (2009).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summerbee View Post
    OP asked about 35mm. Where I seldom remember to have read about heavy complains, in the last few years.

120 is another kind of a beast and "the chinese fornitures" locate themselves at lower end in this rooster...
    I used quite a lot of EFKE (Adox) film over the years from the 70's until the last batches of LF and I never had a quality issue, part of the problem was poor hardening in the earlier days but this had improved slightly by the late 80's. They just needed careful handling. Pinholes were usually down to poor processing.

Those of us who began processing in the 1960's (or earlier) all remember the softer emulsions from all the manufacturers, the improvements in hardening came about with the introduction of FP4 and HP4, and simiilar upgrades of Kodak & Agfa films. We learnt that all films needed careful processing to get the best results.

Some modern films are exceptionally well hardened, a few aren't like EFKE's, and one or two from Kodak and Fuji suffer softening in certain dvelopers (usually containing Sodium Hydroxide). Many complaints about poor coatings are related to processing issues and not the films themselves.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin