Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,414   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

1938 Kodak film....undeveloped

Greetings,

Today I have been going through a whole bunch of film with my father, that was part of my late Uncles estate.

In amongst this lot we have come across a roll of Kodak 118 film, marked with a date of process before September 1, 1938. Considering the film is wrapped in tin foil, I do think it has been exposed(it doesn't specifically say that, though, so I may be wrong).

Considering the date, if the roll is exposed, they would have been taken by my grand father.

Ok, any ideas what the film is? Any ideas what can be done with it, processing wise? I have a few snaps of the box and the roll, which I will upload when I get home tomorrow.

Cheers
    Last edited by hoffy; 07-18-2013 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    waiting for the results~

Sent from my XT882 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For such old film I would be using HC110 dilution B to minimize base fog. Most of the times for dilution B on digitaltruth are around 5-10 minutes: so maybe 7 min?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A note of caution, the film WILL be brittle, handle accordingly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What would the base be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came across an old roll of film like this in the camera take up once. I was already to develop it, but the whole length of it was stuck to the backing paper and I had to toss it :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should be safety film, but a slim chance it could be nitrate base. My research shows that some time in 1938 they changed base material on most films to less dangerous material.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I came across an old roll of film like this in the camera take up once. I was already to develop it, but the whole length of it was stuck to the backing paper and I had to toss it :-(
    I ran into that once. I developed the roll anyway since the paper wasn't stuck to the emulsion side. It actually turned out decent considering. I got a couple usable frames most were fogged though. The paper just peeled off after the development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there anything further to indicate the type of film? In 1938 it looks, based on Kodak's own history pages, like the "normal" film would be Verichrome---the ortho version, not Verichrome Pan, which wasn't introduced until 1956. If so, you could develop it by inspection under a safelight, but you'd want to be pretty confident that it was an ortho emulsion first.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Had a few rolls like that, pre-soaked in water until the paper came off, then processed it a open tray.
    It was not perfect but better then nothing!
    Michael

"I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin