Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,597   Online: 836

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film Pre-soak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone really looked into how presoaking affects development. You would think that prewetting would make the emulsion more permeable to fluids, but that the accumulated prewet solution would also slw down penetration since the developer has to displace the existing liquid. How does presoaking affect development time to a given gamma, overall contrast, and things like that? We really need good experimental work, not guesses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How is your water being filtered?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For maybe 20 or 30 years I didn't presoak, and in fact had never heard of it. This for 35mm and 4x5 in an inversion tank. My agitation was vigorous for the first minute after a couple of sharp raps on the bench to dislodge airbells which I have not experienced since the 1960s. Then remaining agitation every minute thereafter. I gradually moved over the years to less frequent agitation after the first minute to control contrast.

When I started to use 120 size (Neopan 400) I had a few random little circles of slightly reduced density, visible in prints in clear sky only (maybe 0.5mm diameter leading to a few mm on an 8x10 print). I became very particular about rapping the airbells and agitating fairly vigorously but I still got them. I started to use presoak, 2 min fairly vigorously, followed by dev as usual. The problem went away. I still don't have a good explanation, but it works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two 5 micron filters for both the cold and the hot. Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin