Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,692   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You'll get "graphic" effects for sure. Like Artonpaper's avatar.

Expose with a step wedge, develop for solid step 3...

A lot of my enthusiasm for the darkroom is nostalgia for the days when I would work hard to avoid pinholes or avoid pinching the serifs on the Bodoni... The days before imagesetters and rapid-access processors, when I really did have to slosh that film craftily under a red safelight.

Litho film has its uses in masking (silhouette type masks) and other cool line effects. So it's not a waste of $10.

But wait until you have to buy something else so you can combine shipping....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

A lot of my enthusiasm for the darkroom is nostalgia for the days when I would work hard to avoid pinholes or avoid pinching the serifs on the Bodoni... The days before imagesetters and rapid-access processors, when I really did have to slosh that film craftily under a red safelight.

Litho film has its uses in masking (silhouette type masks) and other cool line effects. So it's not a waste of $10.

Thanks Bill,

However I don't know what a step wedge is :/ I feel like I've heard it in reference to scanning film and figuring out curves, all of which I know nothing about save the scanning part.

What's a serif and a Bodoni?

Я ничего не знаю (spelling?)

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

I have some very fond memories of working in a print shop and putting out a weekly shoppers news. I operated a linotype and other letterpress machines as well as offset. My darkroom skills became sharply honed there, working with a couple of hot s--t staff photographers, I was 17 at the time.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Some versions are also thinner than conventional sheet film, so might sag in the filmholder or require a minor focus adjustment. And most of
    these will be ortho more in the sense of being mostly blue sensitive, with less green sensitivity, and of course blind to red. People have done this, but it's more suitable for some kind of creative fun than as a substitute for general photographic film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Some versions are also thinner than conventional sheet film, so might sag in the filmholder or require a minor focus adjustment. And most of
    these will be ortho more in the sense of being mostly blue sensitive, with less green sensitivity, and of course blind to red. People have done this, but it's more suitable for some kind of creative fun than as a substitute for general photographic film.
    Thanks Drew.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks Bill,

However I don't know what a step wedge is :/ I feel like I've heard it in reference to scanning film and figuring out curves, all of which I know nothing about save the scanning part.

What's a serif and a Bodoni?

Я ничего не знаю (spelling?)

The step wedge is used for figuring out curves, right...

http://www.stouffer.net/TransPage.htm

When you use a step wedge with litho film, instead of having 10 or more smooth steps like with pictorial film, you go from clear to black in just one or two steps. So knowing which step number is solid, tells you whether you underexposed or overexposed - and by how much.

Without a step wedge, figuring out litho exposures is very difficult. That's why various authority figures of my past (print shop teacher or pre-press manager) would either call you a pinhead, or refuse to help if you left the step wedge out. I don't use the same name-calling techniques, but strongly encourage the use of step wedges...

Bodoni is a typeface, and it has delicate serifs. Serifs are the tapers and curves at the ends of typeface strokes, they happen naturally in writing on paper by lifting a calligraphy pen or when carving in stone by the finishing stroke of a chisel.

But when you have a paste-up of a proof taken from Bodoni type, you have to get the camera exposure right, or those fine serifs will "pinch"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Bill, interesting, I'm only vaguely aware of step wedges but I didn't get what they had to do with this film, but now I do, so basically, it's harder to expose correctly than say Kodachrome because it's either exposed right, or over or under severely with no real in betweens... ok so I'll just not bother, thanks Bill, you saved me from being penny wise, pound foolish

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    stone -

you can process paper negatives in your MOD45 just like film
    if you don't have a DR ... paper negatives are cheap as dirt to make
    and can be made in less time than film ( development takes 2 mins, not 6 )
    fix+ dry very little time too ... craigs list prob lists buckets of photo paper FREE<?>
    just trim it and expose it ... use sunny 16 for about asa 12 or so, no meter needed ..

you can contact print them by turning your room lights on + off too or in a printing frame / under glass in the sun
    and either develop them in your mod 45 or sk---n the sunprint image. no darkroom needed ...
    while i have a full darkroom these days i opt for least effort with the sun ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    stone -

you can process paper negatives in your MOD45 just like film
    if you don't have a DR ... paper negatives are cheap as dirt to make
    and can be made in less time than film ( development takes 2 mins, not 6 )
    fix+ dry very little time too ... craigs list prob lists buckets of photo paper FREE<?>
    just trim it and expose it ... use sunny 16 for about asa 12 or so, no meter needed ..

you can contact print them by turning your room lights on + off too or in a printing frame / under glass in the sun
    and either develop them in your mod 45 or sk---n the sunprint image. no darkroom needed ...
    while i have a full darkroom these days i opt for least effort with the sun ...
    You crack me up John

Let me figure out how to use the Camera then I'll experiment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/51812-...8x10-25-Sheets - isn't quite as cheap, but isn't bad for learning sorta. I've used it in my 4x5 with a pinhole because it's the only thing that would be slow enough I could use my hand for a shutter. I didn't want to do paper negs. I took an exposed piece of 4x5 film and made marks on my cutter so I could cut it down to fit in the film holders.
    It does go contrasty fast, but it's still fun to play with if you want to make cyanotypes with the result or just want to play a little for less than regular sheet film. Not every shot has to be totally serious!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin