Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,153   Online: 882

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is MultiTone OrthoLitho film usable for photography purposes?

This is a strange question, I've seen talk about Ortho or Litho films before and I have sort of a huge knowledge gap here, I know that some kinds of Orthochromatic film could be developed with a safety light in a darkroom so you could precisely watch when the film was at the exact exposure you wanted, this was before Panchromatic film came out right?

Does this have any relation to Ortho Litho film?

I just got into 4x5 and researching my very limited (from "tiny format" perspective) and a film that stood out on price was this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tho_4_x_5.html

at 50 sheets for $10 it's way under the other's price, but it's some kind of "copy" film right? but can it be used to take a photograph and developed as B&W negative? Kind of how others use x-ray film as of late for it's cheapness?

Thanks guys!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4x5 multitone film will need trimming to fit standard 4x5 holders as it's actually 4" x 5".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The film can be used for copying negatives, or in camera but it is necessary to use soft working developers in order to obtain a longer scaled negative than that for which it is designed.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for inspecting the film as it develops, first, it's density you observing not exposure since that happens in the camera or under the enlarger. Deep red safelight filters can be used with ortho film. Regardless of what developer type you're using it takes a bit of experience to recognize when you've reached the desired density. I spent a number of years working with graphic arts films, and nothing beats time and temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When developing by inspection it is important to evaluate development by looking at the back (the base side) of the film NOT the emulsion side.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This can be developed by inspection, but be aware that if used in camera it has a different spectral response to panchromatic film. It is more usually used as an after camera process.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi stone

if you are planning to scan it ... not sure how well that works because of density issues ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ok, thanks

I wasn't aware "normal"4x5 wasn't 4" by 5"... So what is it then?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    3.918 x 4.925

But... The most significant issue is that this is Ortho Litho film, it is not Ortho Pictorial film.

The film is meant for very high contrast results, so it would be difficult to tame for picture taking purposes. You are welcome to try, many have done it and enjoy the challenge...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    3.918 x 4.925

But... The most significant issue is that this is Ortho Litho film, it is not Ortho Pictorial film.

The film is meant for very high contrast results, so it would be difficult to tame for picture taking purposes. You are welcome to try, many have done it and enjoy the challenge...
    For ten bucks I might... Plus if its an ASA speed film, maybe I can shoot it at .75 ASA and pull it to tame the contrast or something

For 50 sheets for $10 I wouldn't mind figuring it out... Lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin