Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,675   Posts: 1,669,172   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Arista.EDU Ultra 200 IS Fomapan 200. I've had this confirmed by more than one Freestyle sales rep, over a period of 3+ years. I've shot a LOT of the 200 in sheet film sizes - it is much happier being shot at 100 than 200, it has a unique look like a film from the 1930s to 50s (it's an ortho-pan, not a true panchromatic film, so as noted before it is more blue and less red sensitive. There's no point in using a red filter with it, as you'll have to add EXTRA exposure on top of the default filter factor for the red filter, just to get a negative with shadow detail), and it is fantastic for alternative processes because it builds contrast very quickly and responds favorably to alternative developers like Pyrocat HD.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The Arista.EDU Ultra 200 IS Fomapan 200. I've had this confirmed by more than one Freestyle sales rep, over a period of 3+ years. I've shot a LOT of the 200 in sheet film sizes - it is much happier being shot at 100 than 200, it has a unique look like a film from the 1930s to 50s (it's an ortho-pan, not a true panchromatic film, so as noted before it is more blue and less red sensitive. There's no point in using a red filter with it, as you'll have to add EXTRA exposure on top of the default filter factor for the red filter, just to get a negative with shadow detail), and it is fantastic for alternative processes because it builds contrast very quickly and responds favorably to alternative developers like Pyrocat HD.
    Well, I guess I can throw my red filter away then. Truth is, I almost never use it and use the light yellow much, much more, but now I'm going to have to do some more exposure test with and without a filter. It would be nice not to use any filter at all for scenic landscapes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Well, I guess I can throw my red filter away then. Truth is, I almost never use it and use the light yellow much, much more, but now I'm going to have to do some more exposure test with and without a filter. It would be nice not to use any filter at all for scenic landscapes.
    Kodak TMax 400 is really nice for scenic landscapes. Skies are typically rendered with a little bit more tone than other films, like Tri-X, which is already providing way more detail in blue skies than the Foma films.

My use of Foma has been more or less shooting where bright skies have not been included. But I think with a deep yellow filter a lot of the sensitivity limitations can be worked around. It isn't worse - just different.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If its similar in grain to HO5+ then why not just shoot that, support Ilford (sorry, I know it's a faster speed and "pricier" but it's good stuff

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I find 200 has one of the best grain profiles I have ever seen. I couldn't believe my eyes when I did a 12x12 enlargement of a friends wedding. Much better looking that 400TX I shot the same day.

The contrast is great outta the box too, which is nice if you can't put a filter on (like my TLR).
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If its similar in grain to HO5+ then why not just shoot that, support Ilford (sorry, I know it's a faster speed and "pricier" but it's good stuff

Better yet, "Why not buy American"! I have TMY2 in my one of my Pentax 67's and a roll in my other Rollei. It's still nice to have a cheaper alternative with a different look. I did a couple of portrait shots of my little granddaughter with EDU 100 and then the other Rollei with TMY2 and I must say that I like the EDU shots much better. It was soft outdoor lighting with green foliage background and the EDU 100 aka Foma 100 just looked nicer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Better yet, "Why not buy American"! I have TMY2 in my one of my Pentax 67's and a roll in my other Rollei. It's still nice to have a cheaper alternative with a different look. I did a couple of portrait shots of my little granddaughter with EDU 100 and then the other Rollei with TMY2 and I must say that I like the EDU shots much better. It was soft outdoor lighting with green foliage background and the EDU 100 aka Foma 100 just looked nicer.
    I'm not surprised the EDU looked better, TMY-2 is just awful stuff (oh the wars I will start for that statement haha).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not surprised the EDU looked better, TMY-2 is just awful stuff (oh the wars I will start for that statement haha).

Only awful for those who don't know what to do with it...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Only awful for those who don't know what to do with it...
    That's what she said

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what she said

Nah, only what he heard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin