Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,561   Online: 969

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not saying the TMY2 shots were bad, awful or anything like that, but I just liked the EDU100/Foma 100 shots better. To be honest I think there's more noticeable grain in the EDU 100/Foma 100 then I had in the TMY2 shots, but grain ain't all bad and this stuff didn't look clumpy like some films do. I guess it's "smooth" grain? I haven't used much TRI-X lately, but that might be interesting when I'm done testing/trying EDU 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    I'm not saying the TMY2 shots were bad, awful or anything like that, but I just liked the EDU100/Foma 100 shots better. To be honest I think there's more noticeable grain in the EDU 100/Foma 100 then I had in the TMY2 shots, but grain ain't all bad and this stuff didn't look clumpy like some films do. I guess it's "smooth" grain? I haven't used much TRI-X lately, but that might be interesting when I'm done testing/trying EDU 200.
    I didn't think you were either. I just love poking fun at Stone about TMax 400, that's all, and he's pretty good at getting back at me.

You like what you like. If you Foma 200 works well for you, then continue shooting it! It is pretty lovely stuff and I agree the grain is very pretty.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thomas, I ran the last roll of TMax400 thru my antique 500C with an old chrome non "T" 80mm f2.8 Planar and it produced some of the sharpest, best contrast negatives I've seen in a while. I developed them in FX37 homebrew, but Pyrocat-HD and Xtol work great with it too. It was almost grain free in FX37, which isn't a "fine grain" developer. I tried switching to TMax films, from TRI-X, when TMax first came out and I went right back to TRI-X. This new TMax is much more user friendly in my opinion. Well, the EDU 100/Foma 100 works well for me except for it being a little slow and if the EDU 200 does also I'll stick to using it for certain stuff. You know, people complain about not having enough good film/paper products, but we still have enough and maybe less is really more? JohnW

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I didn't think you were either. I just love poking fun at Stone about TMax 400, that's all, and he's pretty good at getting back at me.

You like what you like. If you Foma 200 works well for you, then continue shooting it! It is pretty lovely stuff and I agree the grain is very pretty.
    Yea it's all in fun. I just shot a model yesterday and used one roll of HP5+ and one roll of TMY-2(Tmax400 in 120). I plan to compare the results.

I can't decide though what developer, I've only used HP5+ in Ilfsol 3, but so far I like TMY-2 in Rodinal, but I have a feeling HP5+ in Rodinal will be a grainy mess haha. But I want them to be fairly comparable, I know that's impossible but I exposed a specific shot exactly the same between the two so I could compare.

Only one more roll of TMY left...

Kinda glad I don't like it now that I'm moving to 4x5, since all the Ilford stuff is cheaper, just wish they had PanF+ in 4x5... *sigh*

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TMY grainy in Rodinal? You must be doing something wrong. I'm serious this time... I make 16x20 prints from 120 TMY-2 / Rodinal where grain is barely visible. No crazy standing development or anything like that either, just EI 250 and 1+25 for however many minutes I can't recall. HP5+ on the other hand I can't make an 11x14 without looking decidedly grainy. Good thing I like grain. Lends nice character to the pictures. Texture.
    Anyway, shoot what you like, man. No sense in torturing yourself.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    TMY grainy in Rodinal? You must be doing something wrong. I'm serious this time... I make 16x20 prints from 120 TMY-2 / Rodinal where grain is barely visible. No crazy standing development or anything like that either, just EI 250 and 1+25 for however many minutes I can't recall. HP5+ on the other hand I can't make an 11x14 without looking decidedly grainy. Good thing I like grain. Lends nice character to the pictures. Texture.
    Anyway, shoot what you like, man. No sense in torturing yourself.
    You misread my post, I said exactly what you just said, that I like TMY-2 in Rodinal (yes it's very fine grained and sharp). It's HP5+ in Rodinal that is grainy, so I was saying it wouldn't be a fair comparison, or maybe it would be size my main complaint with TMY-2 is exposure, I feel it's rated at 200 or even 160 and not 400. Perhaps Rodinal looses more than a stop with TMY-2 specifically.

I'll let you know my results

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

...I've only used HP5+ in Ilfsol 3...

Don't try Foma 200 in Ilfosol-3. Just don't.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Don't try Foma 200 in Ilfosol-3. Just don't.
    Really? What should I use? I just got some Arista 100 4x5 in a trade which I assume is Foma...

Is Rodinal ok?

What's wrong with ilfsol 3? If it works great in HP5+ a 400 speed film, a Foma 100 or 200 should be fine... No? Elaborate? Thanks

Shooter
    127 Format
    Okay, go ahead and try it
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The mystery will kill you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin