Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,758   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Arista EDU Ultra ISO 200 in 120 size

I was just over on Freestyles site to order a few things and noticed a sale on Arista EDU ISO 200 in 120 size, but then I noticed it was "out of stock" until Aug. 19. I have used the ISO 100 version of this and like it pretty well, except for the fact I can only get about ISO 50 out of it. There is grain, but it is nice looking grain. I have never tried the Arista EDU 200 in 120, but if the grain was close to the ISO 100 Arista EDU and the real speed was at least ISO 100 I'd be a little more excited than I am with the ISO 100 version. Has anybody compared the two? I would be gaining some needed speed at maybe the cost of a little grain. Let me know how the 120 Arista EDU ISO 100 stacks up against the Arista EDU ISO 200. Thanks, JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Assuming it's Fomapan 200, then it's good for about EI125 in my experience. Looks great, though a bit grainier than HP5.

Fomapan 200 is the only film I've ever had QC issues (fine longitudinal scratches) with however that doesn't mean that the Arista-packaged stuff will also have issues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Assuming it's Fomapan 200, then it's good for about EI125 in my experience. Looks great, though a bit grainier than HP5.

Fomapan 200 is the only film I've ever had QC issues (fine longitudinal scratches) with however that doesn't mean that the Arista-packaged stuff will also have issues.
    I remember reading something about rough backing paper on the roll film from Foma causing scratches, but that was two or three years ago I thing. That's one reason I shied away from it until now since I hadn't heard much more about a backing-paper issue. I've went through six rolls of the Arista EDU 100 and see no problem except it seems slow for me. If I could get ISO 125 and grain like my HP5+ negs I'd be satisfied. Like you mentioned earlier "if it's the same" as Foma? I'm sure the ISO 100 is, but I know nothing, except for what I've read, about the ISO 200 Arista EDU.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know, it is the same as Fomapan 200. Yes, there were problems in the past, but Foma has overcome them: the backing paper was improved and the film base was changed to a clear one. The detected problems were only for Fomapan 200 in 120 format. All other formats and films were ok, but still benefit from the changes.
    Batches of 120 Fomapan 200 with an expire date of 2015 onwards should be fine. Sorry, I don't know about the Arista specific product batches, but it should follow the same pattern.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    As far as I know, it is the same as Fomapan 200. Yes, there were problems in the past, but Foma has overcome them: the backing paper was improved and the film base was changed to a clear one. The detected problems were only for Fomapan 200 in 120 format. All other formats and films were ok, but still benefit from the changes.
    Batches of 120 Fomapan 200 with an expire date of 2015 onwards should be fine. Sorry, I don't know about the Arista specific product batches, but it should follow the same pattern.
    I would imagine if Arista EDU 200 is Foma 200 and Freestyle is "out of stock" then any newly acquired stock should be fresh dated Foma 200. That is "IF" for sure it's Foma 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    That is "IF" for sure it's Foma 200.
    I'm 98% sure it is.

I went to the freestyle store in LA to pick up some film and decided to give Arista EDU Ultra 200 a shot and so I asked for some. They told me that it was out of stock and offered me Foma 200 at the same price because it is the same thing.

I had the feeling that the employees at freestyle are informed but it is also possible that he deduced this from his own experimentation or perhaps even the internet, lol.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, examples in D76 and Xtol (see the tags). All 6x7, all from the blue-base Foma 200. Apparently the new stuff is on a clear base; I've no idea if the emulsion changed though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Foma emulsions seem very blue sensitive, so even though with Foma 200 you get grain comparable to HP5+, the tonality is a good bit different. Watch out for those skies, which quickly turn very dense. Foma 200 (Arista.EDU Ultra 200) also reacts to developers very quickly, and if you don't watch it it's easy to over-develop them.

Just a couple of words of caution. It's beautiful film for sure. Just a little different. I've been shooting the 200 speed film at EI 100, and found good shadow detail at that speed.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    I'm 98% sure it is.

I went to the freestyle store in LA to pick up some film and decided to give Arista EDU Ultra 200 a shot and so I asked for some. They told me that it was out of stock and offered me Foma 200 at the same price because it is the same thing.

I had the feeling that the employees at freestyle are informed but it is also possible that he deduced this from his own experimentation or perhaps even the internet, lol.
    Well, I guess I'll get some EDU 200 then as long as it will still be Foma 200. I'm in no hurry, but did want to know if the new EDU 200 was of the quality of the EDU 100 I'm now using. The doubling in the speed department will be very welcome. From polyglot's examples the grain looks more than acceptable. Especially in D76 or Xtol and I would think Pyrocat-HD or diluted Rodinal would also be good.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thomas thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The Foma emulsions seem very blue sensitive, so even though with Foma 200 you get grain comparable to HP5+, the tonality is a good bit different. Watch out for those skies, which quickly turn very dense. Foma 200 (Arista.EDU Ultra 200) also reacts to developers very quickly, and if you don't watch it it's easy to over-develop them.

Just a couple of words of caution. It's beautiful film for sure. Just a little different. I've been shooting the 200 speed film at EI 100, and found good shadow detail at that speed.
    I noticed that I had to keep my Pyrocat-hd developing times for the EDU 100 down by about 15% when I rated it at ISO 50, but the negatives/prints came out very nice. Printing was a piece of cake. I did notice that the shadows seem fairly open at ISO 50 and the mid-tones look very, very nice, but my upper values might be a little compressed. I might lengthen my developing time by 5% more on the next roll and see what happens. I'm shooting a Rollei with dark yellow filter and light yellow filter for outside stuff. If the EDU 200 is the same "creature" I'll rate the first roll at 100 and knock down my developing times a tad. I like the EDU 100 because it's cheap, does what it's suppose to do (other than being a little slow) and prints pretty darn good. But if I have to shoot at ISO 50 then I'd rather spend a little more and shoot PanF+ at ISO 32. It's absolutely perfect in Perceptol 1:3. Cost more, but I like the looks better. Still, the Arista 120 EDU films are a "good bang for your buck" and have a high quality look. Like you said, good, but different!
    Last edited by John Wiegerink; 07-23-2013 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin