Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,429   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    As none of us (well maybe two guys here) are the next Ansel Adams or HCB, does longevity really matter? All my negatives are destined for the dust bin whence I expire, so if they last the next 20 years, great. If not - it's not like I'll want to print them anyway.

Defeatism wins!
    The negative you (or someone else) want to print the most will be the one that deteriorates the quickest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    As none of us (well maybe two guys here) are the next Ansel Adams or HCB, does longevity really matter? All my negatives are destined for the dust bin whence I expire, so if they last the next 20 years, great. If not - it's not like I'll want to print them anyway.

Defeatism wins!

I have no illusion that my work will be interest to many others. But, some of them are quite important to ME. As I am not in photography as a money making venture, I am the audience. Yes, it does matter TO ME.

Only time I do a "quick rinse" and hang to dry are test films that I make to test something specific and quickly discarded.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are not interesting between rinsing and washing, then I will step back, but the misuse of this temr can cause confusion. If you are interested then I will continue.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear confessions are good for the soul and can also save water, especially when you use hypo clearing agent. Any manufacturer of HCA will do, but it's an enourmous help, especially for those of us who, when the fixer is nearly finished, approach the lid of the tank with trembling hands to remove and photo flo it to get it on the line.

It's probably good to note that in all the time of processing film, I've never had a problem with mixing up a batch like a quart of HCA , using it for a darkroom session on either prints or film, and tossing it. Works great.
    Mark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    I hear confessions are good for the soul and can also save water, especially when you use hypo clearing agent. Any manufacturer of HCA will do, but it's an enourmous help, especially for those of us who, when the fixer is nearly finished, approach the lid of the tank with trembling hands to remove and photo flo it to get it on the line.

It's probably good to note that in all the time of processing film, I've never had a problem with mixing up a batch like a quart of HCA , using it for a darkroom session on either prints or film, and tossing it. Works great.
    Mark
    I re-use it for a while. Seems good till it stops bubbling, when the soap suds are gone, it's not working ... That's how I figure it, so basically when the fixer goes, it's time for a new batch of stop and hypo-clear

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford's washing recommendation for non-hardening rapid fixer is 5-10 minutes in running water that is within 5 degrees of the processing temp. They also show a water saving system of washing called the 5-10-20 method.Fill the tank with clear water and invert 5 times, dump, refill and invert 10 times, dump, refill and invert 20 times. Now you are ready for the final photo-flo rinse and hang to dry. I use the 5-10-20 method with TF-4 and Ecopro Neutral fixers.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I re-use it for a while. Seems good till it stops bubbling, when the soap suds are gone, it's not working ... That's how I figure it, so basically when the fixer goes, it's time for a new batch of stop and hypo-clear

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    if you use SPRINT stop, when the stop indicates ... the developer, fixer, stop and fix remove can be changed .. it indicates EVERYTHING

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you are not interesting between rinsing and washing, then I will step back, but the misuse of this temr can cause confusion. If you are interested then I will continue.

PE
    Please do so.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    . . .They also show a water saving system of washing called the 5-10-20 method.Fill the tank with clear water and invert 5 times, dump, refill and invert 10 times, dump, refill and invert 20 times. Now you are ready for the final photo-flo rinse and hang to dry. I use the 5-10-20 method with TF-4 and Ecopro Neutral fixers.
    Very interesting. With a few modifications to the above noted technique which, coincidentally, is very popular with Tahitian faith-healers, while shaking the tank over your head and alternatively jumping up and down on one leg spinning in a circle and chanting the following: "Spunkwater spunkwater imjin meal shorts ! Spunkwater spunkwater swallow these warts !!!" [Mark Twain in Tom Sawyer]

Likewise used by tribal leaders in the Amazon AND photographers alike, this age old cure for plantars warts also cures hoarseness and sleeplessness. Honest. Really. Try it but not with prints in trays larger than 8x10 unless filled with warmer water.

As a side note, are you guys diluting your hypo clear agent differently for prints versus film? Also, are you testing your fixer for strength or exhaustion?
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-24-2013 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been using Ilfords 5-10-20 method except I do it 10-20-30 as I figure the extra can't do any harm! Then I take off the reel, and rinse with photoflo. Hopefully this is an OK method of washing - no sign of deterioration yet, but my oldest negs aren't 2 years old yet..........

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin