Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,998   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Sept. '61 Agfa Isopan F dev times

Hi all!

I just happened across a collection of my late grandfather's films which contained some 135 Orwo Np 15/Np 22, some polish Foton S and a few rolls of Agfa Isopan F. One of the rolls of Isopan F had the leader folded back which Ive been lead to believe indicates that the roll has been exposed.

Since there could well be some images on the film I am very keen to have them developed. I am quite capable developing black and white film - I regularly process tri-x and others. I generally use xtol or rodinal.

So my question is does anyone have any tips/experience to share on how to develop a roll of 52 year old isopan f? The massive dev chart on my phone indicates at 40 asa dev times for d76 are around 13.5 mins. What would be the best developer combo to minimise fogging due to age etc.?

Thanks for your help.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have no personal experience but for minimizing fog on old films often HC110 is recommended.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    I am unable to obtain HC110 in the remote land of Australia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I developed some Isopan that was much older (1940) in D76. Tho in my case it was recently exposed. It worked fine tho of course there was some fog. The fog was quite even so printing was easy. Seems to me I used 12 minutes? 1:1 but in any case you should try a snip test. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend Xtol stock, which gives very low fog levels (unless you somehow can find HC-110).

Film that old will not have a standard developing time. I would simply try to find an 'average' time for Xtol stock, and either do a clip test on a couple of frames and adjust, or wing it and develop the whole roll.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spatz View Post
    I am unable to obtain HC110 in the remote land of Australia.
    You can order it online, vanbar in Melbourne have stock

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, HC110 will be no magic bullet fog-wise. If the film is fogged, then it is fogged. There will be no substantial difference in the result with HC110 or, say, Rodinal.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe no magic bullet. But different developers produce different dmin (base & fog) on the same film. Whether this is substantial or not depends on you and your needs.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a scan from a 1940s Isopan F neg I mentioned earlier. Exposed then developed the next day. Developed in D76. To give you a very rough idea of grain etc. Leica Summitar with "Pleasant Auto Up" aux close up lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruisedpear-isopan2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	72115

Shooter
    35mm
    Yanluk: I checked their website and could not find any HC-110. I haven't tried calling but I might because from memory the Sydney store never had any. Thanks for the suggestion. It might not be worth getting it from Melbourne if Xtol produces similar results.

I do have a second unexposed roll of isopan f from the same time to play with so I might expose a few frames starting at 40 asa then going lower and doing a few clip tests with Xtol. Does anyone know what temp/agitation would be best to combat fog?

Hopefully I will get into the darkroom in the coming week after which I shall post results if there are any. Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by spatz; 07-24-2013 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin