Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,108   Online: 1133

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rberry65 View Post
    . Being I know for certain that I did not mistake the fix for the developer, I have come to the conclusion that my developer is completely exhausted.
    Have you retained any of this exhausted developer? If so keep it and if you have a film ready for development use it on the leader. If it goes dark then the developer is working at least to the extent that there will be some image and the film numbers will show up.

On the other hand you might be right of course. How old is the developer and when did you last use it and got proper development? That might help us get to the right cause of the problem but anyway I'll throw this question open to the many thousands of APUG developers here. Has anyone else managed to get the same "no numbers, totally blank film" that you have with "exhausted" developer after whatever period has elapsed since you last got developed negs?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For another wrinkle on this problem.

A procedure that includes pre-rinse, developer, stop bath, fixer, wash-aid, wash works well.

Whereas ...

A procedure that includes pre-rinse, stop bath, fixer, wash-aid, wash is guaranteed to disappoint.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format

just like one ...

every teenager has one fender-bender in them - that's part of learning to drive.

every darkroom worker has a finite number of screw-ups... sort of like a bucket list. once you've done it, your done - usually

be happy you've now done this one! NEXT!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rberry65 View Post
    I developed a roll of Adox Silvermax film in Silvermax developer. I got no image on the film, the film is completely clear. The frame number are not even visible. It looks as though the shutter did not open. I checked me camera and it is functioning properly. I mixed the developer around a month ago. Could the developer be exhausted and cause this problem?
    i did that a few months ago for the first time
    http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/jna...-hardener.html
    but i developed my stuff in HARDENER instead of developer

you'll do better the next time

good luck + remember to have FUN !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went 19 years and never mixed up fixer with developer. When my 16yo daughter expressed a desire to take and develop her own black and white film, after driving all day and turning each shot into a teaching/learning experience, and what seemed like forever getting her proficient at loading the developing reel, smart 'ol dad here gave her the fixer first and turned her first roll of film into a 4 foot clear leader. I felt sick to my stomach and could barely sleep that night thinking I completely discouraged her. But she stuck with it and we re-shot a roll the next day. You better believe I threw out everything and mixed all fresh in new, better labeled bottles. BTW, she loves film and darkroom work now. It's just magical to her.

Shooter
    35mm
    So far as I can make out, the Silvermax developer concentrate is intended to be mixed just before use, making only the volume required for the dev-tank - just the same as most other concentrated liquid developers. The only time one would mix far in advance of use is when a developer was being used in deep tanks (typically 15 litres volume), with airtight lids and a calibrated replenishment system to maintain activity.

Did you mix the whole bottle of concentrate at once and then store the resulting working solution for a month? If so, then there is a possible cause of your problem. If not, then the fixer went in before the developer or the tank/reel/containers were contaminated in such a way that the developer was rendered inactive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin