Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

No image on negative

I developed a roll of Adox Silvermax film in Silvermax developer. I got no image on the film, the film is completely clear. The frame number are not even visible. It looks as though the shutter did not open. I checked me camera and it is functioning properly. I mixed the developer around a month ago. Could the developer be exhausted and cause this problem?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When there are no numbers there was no development. Either your developer is completely dead or more likely you mixed up the bottles.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds as if you started with the fix.

Shooter
    35mm
    As Dennis has said. You might have totally exhausted developer but total exhaustion to the extent of nothing on any frame is unlikely. My bet is you fixed first. Most of us have done it. My commiserations to you.

I'd label my processing containers "Fix" and "Developer" for next time and once you fill the fixer container, put it out of immediate reach so you can't get to it.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rberry65 View Post
    I developed a roll of Adox Silvermax film in Silvermax developer. I got no image on the film, the film is completely clear. The frame number are not even visible. It looks as though the shutter did not open.
    To address this phrasing -- frame numbers are not made by the camera (unless you are talking about a data recording camera back). Those edge marking are exposed by the film manufacturer.

That they were clear/missing is the reason I agree with the rest about fixing first.

Personally, I am prone to getting such things confused, so I try to lay things out clearly, left to right, nothing close to being next to each other, etc. And with all of that, I've still messed up storing the chemistry afterward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No frame numbers or other edge markings (totally clear film) means you had no development at all prior to fixing.

Had the edge markings been normal that would indicate the problem happened in camera. I have a roll of developed Portra with no images, just normal edge markings, which I keep as a reminder to always, ALWAYS check for proper film advancing after loading. I've had one roll of film fail due to exhausted developer, it had very very faint images and markings as opposed to being entirely clear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Paul, keeping the blank roll of film as a reminder is an excellent idea. I have had this happen to me before but it has been so long ago that I couldn't remember what the problem was. Being I know for certain that I did not mistake the fix for the developer, I have come to the conclusion that my developer is completely exhausted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been there, done that. Thankfully only once.. so far. My solution was clearly label all chem containers and line them up in order prior to processing.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Another possibility is that the developer is badly contaminated with fixer, which pretty much amounts to the same thing as fixing the film before developing. A couple times, I've accidentally poured fixer into the developer...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No numbers = fix before development.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin