Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,785   Online: 910

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great listing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, that's a fantastic writeup of old papers - thanks very much for the link!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Guide to Photographic Paper Surfaces Characteristics, Kit Funderburk
    I've only had a quick flick, but it looks like it may be useful in identifying many of the early Kodak papers.

winger: I'd suggest looking at the single weight Kodak Bromide papers - They did some rough, matte, and glossy surfaces that may match what you have.
    Thanks for the plug. There is a first addition in print form. There is also a second edition available at www.notesonphotographics.org which I would recommend instead of the print addition. It is available on the site as an interactive document plus as a pdf which can be printed in book format.

There is another post here that my book is only about Kodak papers. That is correct in the specific. However, there are some things that are similar in the industry. Regarding papers that could be folded without cracking, the Kodak papers that were advertised for folding were indeed lightweight but the key was that there was no baryta coating -- that is what cracked. Other manufactures used this same process for folding papers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Having gone through prints and negatives from my great-grandparents, It's thin, thinner than computer paper even, I think. Though it's also fairly tough feeling. It has a sheen to it on the borders that's a little like Art300, but there isn't really much texture to it. Does such a paper still exist?
    Just scored some paper that is just a little out of date. Barnet Bar-Gas, Agfa Brovira, Gevaert Orthobrom, along with a selection of Ilford and Kodak Bromide papers - One is a white fine lustre single weight which might be a close match for the stuff you are looking for.

I'm going to try some this evening just to see if it is any good after nearly sixty years of unknown storage conditions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin