Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,543   Online: 1368

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Look of old paper?

Having gone through prints and negatives from my great-grandparents, I really love the paper most of them are printed on. It's thin, thinner than computer paper even, I think. Though it's also fairly tough feeling. It has a sheen to it on the borders that's a little like Art300, but there isn't really much texture to it. Does such a paper still exist? Is there a paper that can be coated with liquid light or similar or with a homemade emulsion that would be similar? Most papers I've seen that can stand the water exposure or much thicker. These prints are just cool somehow and they feel really nice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They use to make photo paper that could be folded. It can be folded and slipped into a pocket without cracking the emulsion. I have some and it is thin but nice looking. There is none that I know of being made today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's nothing remotely similar to those old papersand their surfaces, the closest would be Art300 or the old Kentemere Art.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there a some web site that has detailed infos about photographic paper history?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Guide to Photographic Paper Surfaces Characteristics, Kit Funderburk
    I've only had a quick flick, but it looks like it may be useful in identifying many of the early Kodak papers.

winger: I'd suggest looking at the single weight Kodak Bromide papers - They did some rough, matte, and glossy surfaces that may match what you have.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 07-26-2013 at 08:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How's about ordering some single weight Unibrom paper from Slavich? You can get some Slavish single weight paper in the States again too! I use the smooth matte, but they've glossy too. And I think a embossed single weight (matte or glassy) Unibrom

Pm me your 411 and I can put a couple'a test paper and print sample in a black bag for ya and mail it to ya.

If you like like, give Bernadette your info, I believe she orders 4x a year:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...flections.html

I have some
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like unglazed, single-weight, fibre-based glossy paper. I used this for contacts thirty-five years ago and occasionally for small-ish prints too. I read of there being an Airmail-weight paper too, but have never even seen any of that.

Have you looked around to compare the material with current non-glazed fibre papers? There are different base-weights in use across different manufacturers, but perhaps Slavich or Fuji are the only ones advertising single-weight paper as such. Then again, perhaps you are more interested in the surface 'look', than the base 'feel'?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thin, foldable photographic paper is still available, though expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Thin, foldable photographic paper is still available, though expensive.
    Now I'm curious . . . Made by whom and distributed where?!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just remembered this: IDS Uncle Mort's single weight????

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...eap-paper.html
    Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin