Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Re loadable 35mm film cassettes

How many times do you reuse re loadable 35mm film cassettes before you have to discard them? Normally I do not have many problems but I had a couple of them pop open on me today after loading them.
    Is there any one brand that you feel is better then others?
    What do you think of the new plastic ones that have screw on top?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the metal ones to be more reliable than the plastic. But others may have the opposite opinion. The main problem is with grit being caught in the felt light trap. I use a little brush made by Butler designed to a used between the teeth. It is just the right size to clean the felt. You can find a card with 3 of them in the drugstore,
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use metal and have had no problems.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The current plastic types can easily be secured against opening (if necessary) by means of a strip of adhesive tape fixed to the drum and that notch on the cap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I find the metal ones to be more reliable than the plastic. But others may have the opposite opinion. The main problem is with grit being caught in the felt light trap. I use a little brush made by Butler designed to a used between the teeth. It is just the right size to clean the felt. You can find a card with 3 of them in the drugstore,
    Good idea, thanks. They are called proxy brushes I believe.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear NDKodak,

I have 2 different constructions of metal cassettes and one type of plastic cassette. I have had zero problems that were not my fault. I have only had to discard one plastic cassette because the light seals were dying in a new (to me) camera and the goop got into the light trap.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never has the plastic screw type ever unscrew or open up on me. I have seen a recommended re-use of a max of 5 mentioned but i see no reason why with careful use and cleaning with the between the teeth brush or sticky part of a post-it note the cassettes shouldn't last a lot longer.

The alternative, if you have a mini-lab close by, is to get it to give you its used cassettes. It probably throws away dozens in a week. Attach the bulk load film to the little bit of residual film on the cassette and you can then probably afford to throw away the cassette after one use. It's free as well!

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long a cassette will last is difficult to answer. If I find a scratched negative or a light leak, I put a small red self-adhesive dot on it. If I get the same bad results with that cassette a second time, I discard the cassette. If I do reuse that cassette, I'm careful not to use that cassette for "good" pictures. To protect the light seal and reduce the risk of the end coming off, I store the cassettes in the plastic containers commercial film comes in. The cassette is either in the camera or in the container. I find camera stores are happy to give the containers away. BTW, I prefer plastic screw tops over the metal clip type because (a) statistically () they have a 50% less chance of popping open (1 versus 2 end caps), and (b) I have never had a plastic cap accidentally come off, whereas I can't count the number of times the metal caps have popped off).
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    35mm
    The supply of different cassettes has been dwindling. MY madness is to stick a twin check tab on the cassette when I develop the film, (and noting the number on my film notes) and if the fog has gotten too big when the film is developed, I fish out and discard that cassette.

Since many of my SLR cameras are Canons that get upset and flash an icon on the LCD if they can't find the DX code. I have been using strictly the metal cassettes with the DX code. I am hoping that someone will gear up to produce these before I use up all my stock. I don't have the patience to use tape and stickers to try and emulate the DX code.

back when I used the plastic ones, I found that the light trap often would start to leak on the side with the removable cap after not all that many uses as the film gets forced into the trap from that end.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The metal ones seem to last pretty well forever if you take care with them. I still have some old Kodak cassettes from the Panatomic X and Super XX days, and they still work well. I also have some I bought about 25 years ago, and they still work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin