Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,298   Online: 902

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a true two bath developer no development takes place in bath A. TD-201 is more accurately defined as a divided developer in which development will take place in bath A. Therefore time, temperature, and agitation are important for consistent results when using it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    brianmquinn -- would you be willing to post your divided XTOL formula?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I don’t have my notes with me now but here is how I got there. It is more important to know the line of thought rather than the exact formula as equipment and technique vary. You have to work out what works for you. Read these 3 web articles. I came up with my conclusions myself but these articles more or less say the same thing as I found.

I started out trying divided D72 (Vestal version)
    See here for info.
    http://www.jackspcs.com/dd76v.htm

I bought Barry Thorton’s book Edge of Darkness and tried out his Two Bath (Good Book get it if you can and it helped me see what I wanted to do with my work and why I needed to play more with my developers for fun and results I wanted to get.)
    http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/archives/115

I also played around with Divided D23
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/DD-23/dd-23.html

Then I made up a two bath version of Mytol (Xtol)
    http://www.jackspcs.com/mytol.htm
    Of course I put the base in the second bath.

Finally I went with a 2X stock of Xtol (Kodak) for about half the published time in bath A followed by an alkaline 2nd bath. And later tried 1X Xtol for 2/3 the recommended time with a second bath for the same time in a very dilute Xtol bath 1+24 (mainly to keep the pH correct).

I tried out several 120 films (about 3-5 rolls of each type) to find my favorite. Keep in mind each roll was cut up so I tested several variations. It was a year or so process but lots of fun. Plus-X was the winner for high key and contrasty light. Part of the reason for the time was my goal was to get perfect show shots. It does not snow in July.

Again what worked best for my needs was Plus-X. You can’t get Plus-X any more however.

I was thinking that a possible replacement might be Fomapan 100. It is a contrasty film with a quick development time. Both of those are similar to Plus-X. Have used it in the past and while it is not Plus-X it is the film I will test out as a possible replacement (when I get snow again).

Keep in mind that life and developer choices can get too complicated. I the end I was using Xtol (Kodak) with a two bath development to get similar results to what I had with the other hand mixed formulas but only have to have one stock bottle on the shelf. However with just Xtol by itself no matter what time, temp, etc I tried I never got the results I wanted until I tried it as a two bath. It could be that IF I owned a diffusion enlarger I might have come to different conclusions.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 08-04-2013 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    if you interesing PC two bath - see this thread

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    if you interesing PC two bath - see this thread
    Ahaa....
    Why do you have to tempt me with other developers ?!
    As I said life and my camera collection and my formula collection and my flashbulb collection and my .... (are already too much for me)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have recently been running TD-201 and found it very useful for a range of films, 35mm, being able to run 5 reels, obviously tank size dependant, of mixed origin for the same time and temp and achieve good results is useful indeed.
    I found little user info. across the web,nor, surprisingly, on Flickr so I started a group for it. I mention it here so when searched readers may find the variety of film referenced, by others as well as myself, useful. Flickr and jpeg limitations noted.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/td-201/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    ... ....Finally I went with a 2X stock of Xtol (Kodak) for about half the published time in bath A followed by an alkaline 2nd bath. And later tried 1X Xtol for 2/3 the recommended time with a second bath for the same time in a very dilute Xtol bath 1+24 (mainly to keep the pH correct). ... ...Keep in mind that life and developer choices can get too complicated. I the end I was using Xtol (Kodak) with a two bath development to get similar results to what I had with the other hand mixed formulas but only have to have one stock bottle on the shelf. However with just Xtol by itself no matter what time, temp, etc I tried I never got the results I wanted until I tried it as a two bath. It could be that IF I owned a diffusion enlarger I might have come to different conclusions.
    That's an interesting post, Brian. In the end, what concentration of Xtol (2x or 1x) and what Bath_B did you settle on?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin