Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,682   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anchell & Troop's TD-201 Two-Bath

Anchell & Troop's TD-201 Two-Bath developer is (in my opinion) the best two-bath developer with current BW films.

Here is the formula
    A
    Metol 5gr
    Sod. Sulfite 100gr.
    B
    Borax 2 gr.
    Sod. Metaborate 5gr
    Sod. SulfIte 6gr.
    Sod. SulfAte 40gr.
    --A 3mn + B 3mn, with continuous agitation in both.

However, I would like to improve sharpness reducing Sulfite in A.
    I tried to use Thornton's formula for A (metol 6.5 gr + Sulfite 85 gr.), but I noticed a loss of activity with a lack of contrast.

So my question would be:
    reducing Sulfite by 25% in A (to 75 gr.), how to ajust the proportion of metol in order to maintain the same level of activity than with 100gr. of Sulfite ? Increase metol ? add a pinch of Borax ? something else ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you know how sharp it is?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What are the water volumes and temperatures?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You said a you had a lack of contrast with Thornton's formula. Well he actually saw that as a good thing. That is why he used it when film was shot under contrasty lighting. Also it is good to prevent blown highlights with Tmax film.

Exactly how did you do your test. If one roll was shot under high contrast light and the other under flatter lighting that might be the difference. I don't see how you would lose activity and contrast by using the Thornton's formula A bath.

Also there is development in bath A with this 2 bath formula so the time and temperature in bath A is important here. Test it out yourself or see the formula for D23 if you doubt me.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 07-29-2013 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    no need to adjust the metol. i've used an Thorton's A bath with 35gr sod. sulfite per litre and it behaved the same way but much sharper/grainier. i've settled on 75gr for a nice compromise of grain/sharpness. and yes, 75gr is sharper than 100gr. i've tested the difference at 4x prints and have seen the difference. don't hesitate to try it. all the best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also while I have not tried it look into
    Dixactol
    It is a Thorton formula that he said was very sharp. It is sold by the Photographers Formulary.

See
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...ch/01-5030.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always considered this kind of two bath developer as meant for maximizing shadow density when using shorter developing times to control contrast in high contrast scenes and thereby keeping the highlights from going too dense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Also there is development in bath A with this 2 bath formula so the time and temperature in bath A is important here. Test it out yourself or see the formula for D23 if you doubt me.
    This is an important point. The TD formula is a 'D-23 variant + alkali B bath' formula, not a true divided formula.

Reducing the sulfite in bath A to say 50g might increase "sharpness" slightly (actually sharpness will be little affected but graininess would increase slightly which may give make things appear a little sharper). Time/agitation in bath A could be extended to compensate for any lost contrast. This would be a similar adjustment to the Dalzell modification of Stoeckler's.

Alternatively, the pH of bath B could be increased, and the time in bath B shortened. The faster development in bath B would mean less solvent effect.

Experimentation would be required in any case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    having tested the variations in sodium sulfite levels myself ( 100gr, 80gr, 75gr, 65gr, 50gr, 35gr. ) i can say that i would never consider using 100gr of sod.sulfite per litre in a developer unless i wanted an obfuscation of sharpness. perhaps in d76, going from stock to 1:1 may give a slight increase in sharpness, in a metol only developer the decrease in sod.sulfite certainly gives more than a slight increase in sharpness. most d23 type developers require an increase in development time of about 10% per two rolls to keep development outcome consistent.
    Last edited by el wacho; 07-29-2013 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The amount of solvent action in developers depends on much more than the concentration of sulfite. Also, comparing the solvent action of a single bath developer to that of a two-bath developer is comparing apples and oranges. In D-23-based two-bath formulas solvent action will be significantly less (even with 100g/L sulfite concentration) than with stock D-23 because overall development time is shorter. This one reason (along with the relatively high pH in the second bath) why even "fine grain" two-bath developers typically produce higher graininess than single bath solvent developers.

Any modification to a balanced formula requires careful testing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin