Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,294   Online: 849

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Rodinal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian Grant probably has the long history on all this Rodinal stuff straight. It's a confusing 120+ year saga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, and by the way:

The number one reason for using Rodinal, is the amazing surprise, at the end of developing when pour the developer out and you see what colors it has, amazing! (and varies with the film used ^^ )
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Oh, and by the way:

The number one reason for using Rodinal, is the amazing surprise, at the end of developing when pour the developer out and you see what colors it has, amazing! (and varies with the film used ^^ )
    I've never noticed that, it's always clear for me...

I'm pretty sure it sounds more like you don't pre-soak your film and you're seeing the anti-halation layer coming out...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

At present I believe:
    If the name "Vaihingen Enz" is on the container, it used to be called Rodinal but is now sold under various names.
    It is more alkaline than the earlier version based on the "liberated" formula.
    The color is probably a reaction product of Indophenol formed by oxidation.
    The crystals are probably not p-aminophenol base, although this is precipitated at lower pH, but are probably aminophenolate, and a Sodium form is more likely as Sodium salts are often less soluble than Potassium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've never noticed that, it's always clear for me...

I'm pretty sure it sounds more like you don't pre-soak your film and you're seeing the anti-halation layer coming out...
    True, with Rodinal I never do, it reacts with it and creates pretty awesome color results, hehe ^^
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I pre-soak the film and some times I get some color when pouring the developer. Can not remember, but one film does make the developer very dark brown color, like coffe.
    And my last bottle of rodinal that I bought come with Adonal name, I took an old agfa rodinal label from a old bottle and glue it over the adonal. Presto, Agfa Rodinal to use with apx 100 and others!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know which component in rodinal that causes to it to get darker over time? Ive got a bottle that hasn't separated but it does look much darker than the off the shelf sealed bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The old Agfa Rodinal, which came in small, sealed, one-use bottles, seemed to last forever. There are tales of 20 year old samples still being good. The same can not be said for the current clones, especially those mixed from dry chemicals when stored in larger containers. They can fail in a year or so. A common failure mode is for the developer simply to go flat - no longer work. Color is not an indication. Good Rodinal can be quite dark, and bad Rodinal can be only slightly colored.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    haha, yea I felt like that until I learned that Adox had bought the patent a few years ago... so I assume there were some patent things going around.

What are you talking about??

Rodinal had been patented more than 120 years ago!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The old Agfa Rodinal, which came in small, sealed, one-use bottles, seemed to last forever. There are tales of 20 year old samples still being good. The same can not be said for the current clones, especially those mixed from dry chemicals when stored in larger containers. They can fail in a year or so. A common failure mode is for the developer simply to go flat - no longer work. Color is not an indication. Good Rodinal can be quite dark, and bad Rodinal can be only slightly colored.
    As I mentioned further up, the reason has to do with using incorrect quantities and incorrect chemicals. If made correctly, home-made Rodinal or Parodinal will last much longer than one year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin