Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,277   Online: 923

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Rodinal

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Agfa Rodinal was only made in one facoty in Vaihingen, it still is, sold as Adonal.
    I thought so too, but today Mirko from Adox stated that Rodinal production at the Vaihingen plant ended and that they are having it produced elsewhere:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1530249

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And you are from Germany... Yes, I have also read his remark... well there are still many mysteries that have not been solved.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I thought so too, but today Mirko from Adox stated that Rodinal production at the Vaihingen plant ended and that they are having it produced elsewhere:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1530249
    Just because that factory isn't making it doesn't mean it's not being made still the original proper way.

About your patent comment, I don't know when the NEW Rodinal patent was created, I think you're probably thinking about "old" Rodinal when you are thinking of when it was patented 120 years ago.

Regardless somehow Adox are able to claim that the others who make R09 are not making the exact same formula, and he couldn't say that if it weren't true on an online forum because the company would be sued if he were not telling the truth. So somehow either by patent or by keeping the exact formula so secret that no one can make it exact, I'm not sure, but obviously ADOX Adonal is the real Rodinal and it's good to know you're getting the real stuff!

Again I can only speculate that when the Vaihingen plant stopped making the formula, the other companies couldn't get the official formula made anymore so they made something similar. ADOX somehow was able to produce the exact formula somewhere and is still selling the original formula.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you say "exact formula", how do you know which exact formula? Agfa played around with the formula.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    When you say "exact formula", how do you know which exact formula? Agfa played around with the formula.
    They played around with the formula by testing it on their customers? That seems odd.

I thought there were only two formulas the "old" Rodinal and current Rodinal ... Care to elaborate on that?

Also, when is Adox going to come out with Rodinal HD? Haha, same tonality and shelf life and sharpness, but finer grain...?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not an expert on the 120 year history of Rodinal so Ian Grant would be the guy to ask about tweaks and changes Agfa made over the decades. My understanding, for example, is that the original formula contained no restrainer (I could be wrong) while more recent versions contained bromide. The concentrations of p-Aminophenol and Hydroxide apparently also changed, but again, best to contact Mr. Grant.

Regarding "finer grained Rodinal", don't get everyone started on all that craziness again. Agfa made something called Studional or Rodinal Special. Whatever. Is Rodinal even that "sharp"? Oops... Bracing for impact.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Studional is still made by Agfa. They call it now TonalDev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In any case, Studional or Rodinal Special (whatever that was/is) is/are not "fine grained Rodinal". They are different developers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Regardless somehow Adox are able to claim that the others who make R09 are not making the exact same formula [...]
    Can you post a link to this news, please?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Can you post a link to this news, please?
    I think it starts at or around post #41

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/121022-who-made-lomochrome-purple-400-film.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin