Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,801   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Advice on developing settings (Apx 100/ Rodinal)

Hello,
    I'm currently shooting APX100 at 100 ASA and developing it in Rodinal 1+25, 8 min at 20°C. However, I can't seem to get the negatives look like I'd like them to : on the negative, there aren't really white spots, and there aren't completely dark spots. That means low contrast. I know developing longer will increase density, but if I also want white spots, what should I do ? What should I do to improve the negative ?

Thank you in advance,

Krystof.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot better light.

Shooter
    35mm
    You need to define what you mean by white and dark spots. Do you mean pure white and pure black. These will only be relevant if there were pure white and pure black areas in the scene which is unlikely

It is not how the neg looks that is important. It is how the print appears. Try a print at grade 2 or 2.5. If that looks to have full range of tones then the neg is right.

If the print looks muddy which is low contrast then you can adjust with variable contrast paper on this occasion and then consider longer development next time.

The only proper way to determine if your negs are correct for your camera's meter or handheld meter with this developer and your agitation routine is to conduct a proper film test but that's another subject.

Until you have seen most of your negs as prints I wouldn't make any assumptions about what to change You have used the development time given in The Massive Development Chart which is probably what Rodinal recommends anyway. Usually the maker's times for development are longer than most users who test their films actually use.

So I would avoid increasing development time until you are sure that the prints are low contrast at grade say grade 2.5- 3.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I will do some prints at grade 2 soon and will let you know. I would ask you about the proper film test then.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using the very same combination of APX 100 and Rodinal 1+25 for 8 minutes with a very nice result.

Shooter
    35mm
    I prefer using 1+50 for 12m at 20ºC!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried that one once and the negatives came out too thin.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX100 doesn't lay down "hot" contrasty negatives - and you don't want it to. This is the responsibility of the printing phase, by far.

Also, try 1+50 and adjust accordingly, as it's a better known match with APX100 (although 1+25 won't do anything bad). Even then, do not expect contrasty negatives. Expect flattish grey looking negatives.

You don't want a contrasty negative that reduces your flexibility.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    True. I'll try 1+50, beginning with 17 min as Agfa advises. I might reduce it later, though I like dense negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Judging negatives is difficult and requires some years experience to do it accurately. Make some prints.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin