Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 725

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Are you looking at film or paper development? If film, which film? Certain developer/film combinations work better than others.

If you are just looking for any good developer, the easiest is probably to make some for yourself. You can make parodinal from paracetamol (pain killer) capsules, sodium sulphite and potassium hydroxide. It stretches very far, and lasts a long time. One can use the chemicals one buys in the supermarket or hardware stores too, but lab grade is more reliable. Another alternative, using instant coffee, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and washing soda, is Caffenol. If you can get hold of metol or phenidone, there are a host of yet other possibilities. The internet (and APUG) is awash with developer formulas, you just have to look.

For fixer, it is slightly more difficult, but still entirely possible to make your own. If I am correct, some of my chemicals come from Alfa Aesar, made in India. If so, I'll see if I can find contact details on the packaging. A basic formula uses ammonium thiosulphate, sodium sulphite, acetic acid, boric acid and potassium alum. All of those are cheap and readily available, as they aren't only used for photography. Some are even available in supermarkets. Sodium thiosulphate is mentioned in older formulas, but is not the best choice for modern films. It is best to make as much as you will use up in say three to four months. The dry chemicals can be stored indefinitely.
    Film development. Not yet into printing!
    Have thought of making caffenol (more so cos I just love coffee and supply at home is abundant! ) but want to get my traditional developer/fixer combination sorted first.
    Alfa Aesar? I'll check what google has to say on them.

Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Alternatively you could find out whether Ilford or Kodak have local agents. You may also order via mail from Maco Direct, Ag Photographic etc. Liquids may be sent as long as the packaging does not exceed 1 liter. For powders, things are more complicated, and you may find some of the more useful chemicals on the restricted list. Dimezone S is a prime example. Even getting 10 g from overseas is a daunting task. Crazy if you ask me.

I hope this doesn't seem overwhelming. It is best to start out with commercial products, but if they are unavailable or very expensive, then home-mixing is a very viable alternative. In addition, it is rewarding and adds to the fun.
    Actually tried ordering from AG - never heard back from them, and online ordering wouldn't let me ship the items to India. Havent ordered from Maco, will try them.
    Kodak India existed until they shut shop, i think in 2011(?)
    Ordered from another German shop (forget the name) but my chemicals were struck in customs and never reached me - ilfords, both liquid concentrates; so I am wary of shipping.

Is Dimezone a developer chemical?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It doesn't get any more proven than D-76 and Professional Fixer from Kodak. For decades, photographers have relied on these two. Unless damaged, the foiled bag these products come in will keep them fresh well beyond the stamped date.

Can you not buy them in stores other than eBay? For you, what's most reliable may be, the stuff you can actually buy locally, regardless of what it might be.
    Tried a couple of non-ebay stores, experience was mixed to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    If you have to get them shipped from a western country, it would be hard to go past these two, unless you could get developer in tins (as Acufine was, and may still be).

I notice that there is a photo club in Bangalore. Perhaps there are some black and white photographers there who could help.
    Am part of one, and I have had mixed results from the chemicals recommended, so!

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For fixer, if you are able to find someone who supplies chemicals to labs that process colour films (C-41) and colour photographic prints (RA-4) you can use that fixer for black and white as well.
    Not really. Its mostly chemical supplies for X-rays labs. In fact one of the fixer/developer combos I have is just that, manufactured locally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just performed an experiment.

Freestyle Photographic charges $111.00 for insured SIMS shipping of 4 one gallon packets of each of Kodak D-76, Dektol and Fixer plus an 8 ounce bottle of Photo-flo.
    The total cost of your order would be just under $200.00 USD.
    The shipping is expensive, but that would last you a long time.
    If you add a selection of their Arista EDU Ultra VC RC paper the shipping price would go up, but 225 sheets spread between 5x7 (100), 8x10 (100) and 11x14 (25) would only add $30 in shipping and $103 for the paper itself (shipped Priority Mail International).
    Thanks, Looked through them - the returns and refund policy seems good too.
    I will try ordering a test batch from them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Thanks, Looked through them - the returns and refund policy seems good too.
    I will try ordering a test batch from them!
    And they are a major supporter of APUG too!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you, I shall try looking for that. Ilford doesnt have a powder fixer does it? (I generally run with ilford films, so would prefer their chemistry). And especially the ease of usage bit!
    With powder fixer your best bet is Kodak, but you should have a distributor for Ilford in India I would think? You can even watch eBay for somebody cleaning out their darkroom and selling unopened Diafine, which should be excellent since they are in tins(cans). Last ones went for 19.95 and that's lot of developer for the money. I still believe it to be one of the best developers for Kodak Tri-X ever made and I used ISO 1000 or ISO 1250 all the time with near perfect results.
    Now I use mainly Pyrocat-HD, Rodinal and home-brewed Microdol-X, but still have my Diafine in the darkroom and if I fine any Tri-xkthat's what I'll use. Oh, I thing D76 can still be found in cans to make 5L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford website lists distributors for many parts of the world, but lists nothing for India.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Ilford website lists distributors for many parts of the world, but lists nothing for India.
    Wow! A country the size of India, with its huge population and growing economy................... sounds like a good place to open a distributorship! Amazing that England once flew her flag on Indian soil and now you can't even buy her film there. If Ilford wants to send me there to open one up, I'm game! Ah, the photo opportunities there are endless. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Dimezone a developer chemical?
    Yes, Dimezone S is a derivative of phenidone, and can be substituted for phenidone in all formulas that require it. Those will include PQ (phenidone / hydroquinone) and PC (phenidone / ascorbic acid) formulas. Dimezone S is more stable in solution and is slightly better for film development apparently.

You can look up Patrick Gainer's vitamin C formulas on unblinkingeye.com. I believe they have been extensively repeated here on APUG and elsewhere. They give results similar to Xtol, which is an excellent developer, perhaps the best generally speaking.

If you want to make parodinal, which is a really useful and versatile developer (and cheap!), you can use my calculator. If you use proper chemicals and follow the instructions, I guarantee that you will not be able to mess it up.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...alculator.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...e-insight.html

If you are looking for fun, then check this out:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...developer.html

The secret with ascorbic acid developers is that the cheap vitamin C does all the heavy lifting, while the co-developer is only required in tiny quantities. In Xtol, it is Dimezone S. In Caffenol, it is caffeic acid. In my Rosmarinol, it is rosmarinic acid. Typically, one needs 0.1 to 0.2 g per liter of stock, to get a fully active developer. The upshot is that the developer is more friendly to your health, and to the environment.

If you like coffee, then Caffenol sounds like something you should try. jnanian is the APUG user with most knowledge on that developer, AFAIK.

You still haven't told us what film you want to use, and what subject matter you are after. Those things are sort of important in selecting a developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for that very informative post, I shall check up on that pa-rodinal seems very interesting indeed. As does caffenol. I would first like to use regular stuff a little more though.

Btw, are there any home-grown stuff for fixers? Or would that be regular photographic chemicals only?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Wow! A country the size of India, with its huge population and growing economy................... sounds like a good place to open a distributorship! Amazing that England once flew her flag on Indian soil and now you can't even buy her film there. If Ilford wants to send me there to open one up, I'm game! Ah, the photo opportunities there are endless. JohnW
    Hahaha. You cant buy any film here barring few pockets of Kodak leftovers n some Fuji film. One chap does sell a bit of foma. :-)

- via tapatalk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin