Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,968   Online: 923

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Thank you for that very informative post, I shall check up on that pa-rodinal seems very interesting indeed. As does caffenol. I would first like to use regular stuff a little more though.

Btw, are there any home-grown stuff for fixers? Or would that be regular photographic chemicals only?

- via tapatalk.
    The fixer used with X-ray film would work fine for photographic film, once you adjusted the dilution.

Sodium thiosulfate (formerly known as sodium hyposulfate or hypo for short) is the traditional fixer, so if you can find it in bulk that will work well.

It used to be used in some swimming pools.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The fixer used with X-ray film would work fine for photographic film, once you adjusted the dilution.

Sodium thiosulfate (formerly known as sodium hyposulfate or hypo for short) is the traditional fixer, so if you can find it in bulk that will work well.

It used to be used in some swimming pools.
    Anything more benign? Like the caffenol stuff?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

- via tapatalk.
    Not really, although sodium thiosulfate is pretty benign.

If you do any research into the history of photography you will discover that, arguably, the discovery of sodium thiosulfate's fixing properties was the most important discovery in the invention of modern photography.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Not really, although sodium thiosulfate is pretty benign.

If you do any research into the history of photography you will discover that, arguably, the discovery of sodium thiosulfate's fixing properties was the most important discovery in the invention of modern photography.
    Hmm I see! That's interesting, I didn't know it was that important. The x-ray fixer is a smelly thing,would rather use a more benign smelling thing. Or one where I won't need gloves!

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

- via tapatalk.
    Sodium thiosulphate is sold as cattle food additive. You can probably find some in a farmer's co-op or supply store (whatever you call that in India). That is where I have seen it cheapest locally.

If it is benign enough for cows to eat, it is probably benign enough to handle without gloves.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Didn't I message you a list of about 80-100 film labs names, phone numbers, and addresses in India? (Or was that another guy?) I can't believe there's not a single one you can call that has chemistry to sell you...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm

Shipping to India

Problem so far has been in getting either reliable or quick supplies. I would prefer either ilford or kodak chemistry I suppose but ilford is not very widely available for shipment to India (or costs too much) and D-76(on ebay) is where the dates vary wildly - I could very well be trying to use stuff older than my camera. :|

What would the recommendation be?

(Updated/rephrased for more emphasis on the supply bit - not doubting manufacturing of any of the biggies!)
    Hi,

I too am from India and I get most of my supply from outside so here are my 2 cents.

There are three places from where you can purchase your chemicals

1. Freestyle (http://freestylephoto.biz) - USA : Ships all powders and most liquids to India. Only items marked ORM-D will not be shipped. Economy shipping method - FIMS (Fedex International Mail Service) is available. Always use insurance with FIMS. Shipping time is about 1 week.

2. Maco Photo (http://macodirect.de) - Germany : Ships everything to India. Shipping via DHL - Deutsche post : at par - only slightly expensive than FIMS. Shipping time is about 2-4 weeks.

2. Fotoimpex (http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen) - Germany : Ships everything to India. Shipping via DHL - Deutsche post : at par - only slightly expensive than FIMS. Shipping time is about 2-4 weeks.

Since all these shops stock most chemicals, you can have your choice of developer/fixer.

Some of the chemicals are also available in India, however the supply is erratic at best.

For D-76 and fixer (ammonium hypo/sodium hypo) you can contact Madanji in Delhi
    for Adox Adonal and Foma chemicals/films, you can contact Eastern photographic in Delhi.

If you have any specific queries, shoot.

Cheers!!
    Darshan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davedm View Post
    Hi,

I too am from India and I get most of my supply from outside so here are my 2 cents.

There are three places from where you can purchase your chemicals

1. Freestyle (http://freestylephoto.biz) - USA : Ships all powders and most liquids to India. Only items marked ORM-D will not be shipped. Economy shipping method - FIMS (Fedex International Mail Service) is available. Always use insurance with FIMS. Shipping time is about 1 week.

2. Maco Photo (http://macodirect.de) - Germany : Ships everything to India. Shipping via DHL - Deutsche post : at par - only slightly expensive than FIMS. Shipping time is about 2-4 weeks.

2. Fotoimpex (http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen) - Germany : Ships everything to India. Shipping via DHL - Deutsche post : at par - only slightly expensive than FIMS. Shipping time is about 2-4 weeks.

Since all these shops stock most chemicals, you can have your choice of developer/fixer.

Some of the chemicals are also available in India, however the supply is erratic at best.

For D-76 and fixer (ammonium hypo/sodium hypo) you can contact Madanji in Delhi
    for Adox Adonal and Foma chemicals/films, you can contact Eastern photographic in Delhi.

If you have any specific queries, shoot.

Cheers!!
    Darshan
    Thanks Darshan, I do already get some chemicals from Eastern but I would prefer Ilford chemistry and of course, films - neither of which they have.

It's interesting, the freestyle chaps actually advised me against using FIMS for 'sensitive stuff like chemicals and films' - their words, not mine - awaiting order there. The shipping time bit is heartening!

Is Madanji still having chemistry? I thought he wasn't anymore, or so I got told.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Didn't I message you a list of about 80-100 film labs names, phone numbers, and addresses in India? (Or was that another guy?) I can't believe there's not a single one you can call that has chemistry to sell you...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not that they cant or won't sell chemistry - the requirement is for it to be consistent chemistry and reliable supply, chemistry is available here - in some places, mostly sold for x-ray labs etc.,

And, yes it was probably another chap that you sent the nos to.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Darshan, I do already get some chemicals from Eastern but I would prefer Ilford chemistry and of course, films - neither of which they have.

It's interesting, the freestyle chaps actually advised me against using FIMS for 'sensitive stuff like chemicals and films' - their words, not mine - awaiting order there. The shipping time bit is heartening!

Is Madanji still having chemistry? I thought he wasn't anymore, or so I got told.

- via tapatalk.
    I suggest you give freestyle a try, since it has insurance, you will get your money back in case of an unlikely incident.

Madanjee has Ammonium hypo based fixer (made in India), sodium hypo crystals and If I remember correctly Kodak D-76 powder. Give him a call to confirm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin