Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,573   Online: 864

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I know only a handful of Indians, and from what I gather, they(or family) travel back and forth fairly often. Why not try to find someone to bring you some from the states(or any other country). Work some kind of arrangement where you pay for one piece of excess luggage for them in exchange for bringing your supplies. You get your gear and they get to take more stuff back to their family/friends/etc. If you pay attention, you'll see that people on international flights, almost ALWAYS, carry a lot of stuff! If you plan it right, you would have to do this only once a year. I'm actually considering this, but in the other direction, to get something from India. There is an asthma medicine that in the states would cost me $480 and $9 in India!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele View Post
    I know only a handful of Indians, and from what I gather, they(or family) travel back and forth fairly often. Why not try to find someone to bring you some from the states(or any other country). Work some kind of arrangement where you pay for one piece of excess luggage for them in exchange for bringing your supplies. You get your gear and they get to take more stuff back to their family/friends/etc. If you pay attention, you'll see that people on international flights, almost ALWAYS, carry a lot of stuff! If you plan it right, you would have to do this only once a year. I'm actually considering this, but in the other direction, to get something from India. There is an asthma medicine that in the states would cost me $480 and $9 in India!!!
    Be aware though of tight restrictions on liquids and powders in luggage. Film, paper and hardware might not be a big issue, but if they find powders or liquids in luggage, it is not going to go aboard the plane. In addition, one might have some explaining to do to narcotics authorities. Of course, provided no real narcotics are found, it should not be a criminal liability. Still, I am not going to try and tempt fate in a way that might cause me to miss an international connecting flight while being interrogated by the toughest cops in the business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele View Post
    Quite a bit of my gear was brought in or bought when I travelled, or had someone come in, but chemicals tend to be something I would want people to be more careful with and people themselves are not as okay carrying along - and if they mistakenly place it in cabin baggage, likely to get thrown out or in trouble.(my job stopped involving intl travel a while ago)

Good luck with the medicine but I am not entirely sure it's allowed, customs (both places) or such would most likely only permit a certain limited quantity as I understand. And there might be issues with medical insurance coverage etc.,

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    Be aware though of tight restrictions on liquids and powders in luggage. Film, paper and hardware might not be a big issue, but if they find powders or liquids in luggage, it is not going to go aboard the plane. In addition, one might have some explaining to do to narcotics authorities. Of course, provided no real narcotics are found, it should not be a criminal liability. Still, I am not going to try and tempt fate in a way that might cause me to miss an international connecting flight while being interrogated by the toughest cops in the business.
    Indeed. Even if I agree with some of those measures, I'm surprised we're still allowed to board with underwear on the flights. :-P

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    35mm
    Point taken! It makes perfect sense, specially if you are asking someone else to carry something for you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It doesn't get any more proven than D-76 and Professional Fixer from Kodak. For decades, photographers have relied on these two. Unless damaged, the foiled bag these products come in will keep them fresh well beyond the stamped date.

Can you not buy them in stores other than eBay? For you, what's most reliable may be, the stuff you can actually buy locally, regardless of what it might be.
    A friend just gave me three bags of D76 gallon kits from the 1990s, and the film came out the same as with fresh D76. No difference to my eye and prints. Doesn't get any more consistent than that.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you should buy the raw chems locally and make your own developers and fixer. Even with the cost of a scale it could be cheaper.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin