Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,836   Online: 987

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    If one carries through a peg point from scene to paper, say a mid-tone instead of a highlight or shadow, then the mid-tones will typically print essentially the same, not too light, not too dark. This assumes development remains constant and that the mid-tones remains somewhere on the straight line. In this case the highlight and shadow detail will change around the mid-tone peg (moving lighter or darker as they fall off the film curve) and the mid-tones will print normally.
    Of course any carry through of tones from negative to print is arbitrary, those values are all established by the printer. Which is to say the midtones only "print the same" if the printer intends it to be.

The point I was actually making was that you can make a crude judgement on severe-over and severe-under exposure based on how the mid tones look when the darks and highlights are printed to look appropriate.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't have the slightest clue about printing so forgive me, but, have you also considered developing with a different developer that delivers less overall contrast?

I also believe pulling might help.

Also developing with less agitation.

Again, I know nothing about printing.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The point I was actually making was that you can make a crude judgement on severe-over and severe-under exposure based on how the mid tones look when the darks and highlights are printed to look appropriate.
    Not necessarily, in many shots I do I expect to burn or dodge a bit to change the relationship of say the face (and other subject matter) to the background.

As long as the background and the face (and other subject matter) have fallen on the straight line portion of the curve my camera was acceptable.

Printing test prints to both pegs, background and face, is needed to see if there is a problem with the film exposure. Printing one peg or the other only shows "what the paper saw" in relation to that peg.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin