Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,200   Online: 989

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tetenal Hardener and fixers compatibiloty

Hello,
    I bought some Tetenal Hardener to add in Ilford Rapid Fixer, but I just read on the net that those two aren't compatible. Does anyone know what fixers are compatible with this hardener ? And just for curiosity, why some aren't ?

Thanks in advance,

Krystof.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone ? Or can I make a separate bath with it, since it works only at low pH (I have sulfuric acid to lower the pH of water for example) ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    Hello,
    I bought some Tetenal Hardener to add in Ilford Rapid Fixer, but I just read on the net that those two aren't compatible. Does anyone know what fixers are compatible with this hardener ? And just for curiosity, why some aren't ?

Thanks in advance,

Krystof.
    Basically if the hardener is too acidic then it could trigger sulfur colloidal precipitation out of the fixer.
    Tetenal Harter's acidity is calibrated to be used only with Tetenal acidic fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it is written on the box that you can add it to a stop bath, so basically just an acidic solution, nothing more, right ?

Do you use another type of hardener ? I read about a formol based one.
    Last edited by Tofek; 08-01-2013 at 03:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    But it is written on the box that you can add it to a stop bath, so basically just an acidic solution, nothing more, right ?

Do you use another type of hardener ? I read about a formol based one.
    The Tetenal Harter is an alum based hardener. Alum must be in an acidic environmento to work properly.
    So basically yes, you can use it also as a stop bath.
    There are other hardeners available: formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, chrome alum...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok. Do you have an idea of the concentration of sulfuric acid or vinegar if I make the stop bath of one of these two ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok. Do you have an idea of the concentration of sulfuric acid or vinegar if I make the stop bath of one of these two ?
    Don't use sulfuric acid. It's just too strong.
    Just diluite the hardener following the instruction as you would if you had to use it in the fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, but how do you make the stop bath ? (Without buying one). Should I use acetic acid or citric acid ? I usually use plain water as stop bath when processing negatives.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, but how do you make the stop bath ? (Without buying one). Should I use acetic acid or citric acid ? I usually use plain water as stop bath when processing negatives.
    Just use the Tetenal Harter diluited as per instruction as a stop bath.
    Or use citric acid 15g/lt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok then, thank you

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin