Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,103   Online: 1031

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stop Bath poured into Fix container - result?

Say someone poured 500ml of acid stop into 10 liters of working solution rapid fix - would it have any negative effect on the fix? (Note - I didn't do this, but I know of someone who did.) Just wondering if the fix needs to be dumped or if it would still work OK?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be fine assuming it was an acidic fixer like Hypam. You can confirm fixer activity pretty easily by measuring the clearing time...

Probably not great if it was a neutral/alkaline fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that 500ml of stop working strength or concentrate?

And which stop, and which fixer?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I highly doubt we're talking 500ml of glacial acetic acid because nobody ever pours 500ml of that stuff into anything, all at once, without thinking about it or measuring it.
    So this sounds like 500 ml of a single small tank being poured back into a working solution fixer container before they went on to the next step which was the fixing itself.

It'll be fine.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking more of a 500 ml bottle of Ilfostop concentrate or Kodak Indicator Stop.

In other words, a mixing mistake.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I was thinking more of a 500 ml bottle of Ilfostop concentrate or Kodak Indicator Stop.

In other words, a mixing mistake.
    Yeah I just figured who would pour a 500ml bottle of KIS into anything given that the ratio is 1:64 and they're probably not making 32L of stop. ;-) Additionally small tanks are 500ml so I can see how the gears probably would have turned.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I highly doubt we're talking 500ml of glacial acetic acid because nobody ever pours 500ml of that stuff into anything, all at once, without thinking about it or measuring it.
    So this sounds like 500 ml of a single small tank being poured back into a working solution fixer container before they went on to the next step which was the fixing itself.

It'll be fine.
    That's it - a beginner in a shared darkroom had just finished with the stop bath part of developing, so that was diluted Kodak Stop - it's about 15ml of concentrate per liter, I think. That went into 10 liters of working strength Kodak Rapid Fix. I didn't have time to do a clearing test. Thanks for the answers, good to know it should be OK, i will tell the darkroom people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It'll be a minute increase in acidity to an already acidic fixer that normally is expected to buffer some increased acidity from stop-bath carryover. In short, won't do much if anything.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin