Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,088   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good start. If you want her lighter, you could reduce contrast a little to lighten the blacks; something you don't really do much with printing. Usually you want solid blacks, but here, I think highlights are most interesting and the blacks provide shapes rather than detail. You could also keep her dark as is and tone it, so it's not dark silver face/shadows; sometimes rich sepia (or other rich tone) looks better than dark gray.

As far as dodging, I sometimes use a finger or thumb part way between the enlarger and paper to approximate the shape of an underexposed body/head. Wiggle it a little so you don't have a shadow of a finger, but sometimes the shape of your hands or fingers can make a perfect mask.

I use different fixer mostly to keep the film fixer clean. (so no paper fibers or airborne dust lands in the trays and then onto film where you only have one chance to get it right)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree - a good start.

And it doesn't look particularly fuzzy to me, but then the scanning process intervenes.

And as jp498 says, it is best to reserve film fixer for film use and paper fixer for paper use. You don't particularly want the small byproducts of either process to be introduced to the other.

If you are going to mix up the entire package of fixer at once, split it before use into two bottles. One can be at paper dilution (and labelled fixer for prints) and the second can be at film dilution, and marked accordingly.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Had some fun again last night. This is ridiculously addictive. I think my life as I knew it is over.

And finally, my first print off the new (old) Agfa Isolette III I recently bought:

So far, these are pretty much just straight prints. I'm so thrilled to just get an image to appear, I'm not doing much else. Not being methodical at all...Mostly I'm playing around, trying to get a feel for how a given negative will react to a given amount of exposure, different f stops on the enlarger lens, etc. My next step is going to be to take a negative and really try to get a "great" print from it. I feel myself getting more and more sucked in...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way to go! I've recently made the leap from scanning negatives do doing darkroom enlargements myself. Bought a box of 250 sheets of fresh paper to practice on, do practical exercises, and it's really been paying off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice...this is getting me extra excited to get started on printing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea! Have fun. Isn't it wonderful?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you see now why analog people are so protective of their process? :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Good work.

It's been about 25 years since I did any printing, but the kit's in the process of being set up again, so I how to join you very soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin