Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 689

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What a great feeling! First prints!

Well, I am beyond excited right now!

I just finished producing my first analog prints in 30 some years, and it went fabulously!

My only prior experience with this was in the college newspaper darkroom way back. It was all meatball work: Everything was pre-timed for us. All we wanted was to get an image that was good enough to screen onto a plate and we called it good.

So tonight's effort was my first time ever trying to get something that was actually of acceptable quality, and while the results are far from where I want them to be, I got something, and that's a start.

And I only blew one sheet...my first...based on mis-understanding the operation of my timer and setting 20 seconds instead of 2. The result was pure black. Heh.

Second effort gave me a decent set of test exposures. Based on that I settled on 6.5 seconds and fired off my first would-be keeper. No dodging or burning. Just a straight shot. And it came out!

Decided to get aggressive with the next one, so I upped the contrast filter, and even tried a little dodging. The result is probably best described as "clumsy", but none the less it is invigorating seeing the differences in the output based on those adjustments.

I'll take them into the office tomorrow and scan them in.

A huge THANK YOU to all the folks here who offered advice and counsel along the way, and particular THANKS to Simon from Ilford, who was kind enough to send their book to me. You have all been a tremendous help!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what it's all about. You control the process, you control the creativity, you control the output.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! You'll quickly find that printing is just like any other Art form - there's always something to learn and the challenge is to create prints that reflect your vision. One of the truest adages in photography by Ansel Adams - The Negative is the score, but the Print is the performance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! It is pure magic to see the image emerge from the white paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations! I can't wait to give printing a shot one day too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Omaha,

Pleased it went well...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And so, the addiction begins...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok, here we go.

First one:

Second one: I went from the #2 to the #3 filter, and cut out a little mask to try some dodging. I like the way the sky came out, but the "halo" around the girl is pretty sketchy...

As Rick said, "the addiction begins"...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quick breakdown...

I'm surprised at how fuzzy/oof it looks. Not sure if its the negative or the enlargement (or something in the processing?), although given the focal length and the aperture, I have a hard time thinking the negative is out of focus. Gonna need to sort that out for sure.

I really should have used a reflector to toss some light up into her face/head. If this were digital, I'd save it by carefully masking her out in PS and doing some selective exposure control. I don't think I can get the needed level of precision with this process.

I truly love the way the sky/clouds came out in the second print. These were taken with my RB67, 50mm lens with a red filter.

I used some of the fixer I've been using to develop film. Didn't really mean to. I had forgotten that I mixed up my entire bottle of fixer a few weeks ago. Is that a no-no (using the same fixer for prints and for film)? I realize the concentration was wrong (1/4 for film, 1/9 for prints?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great photos and a nice camera also.
    You could use the same fixer.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin