Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,377   Online: 789

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

25 red or polarizer?

For B&W I usually use a polarizer to darken the blue sky. Will a red darken it more? But will red darken green leaves and grass too much?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    25 red will darken it more. Google "25 red filter" and click on "images" to see some examples (although some are made with IR film, you're able to say which ones 'cause the foliage will be whitish).

It will darken the green stuff, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you use 25 red and polarizer together you might use a tripod.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kubach; 08-03-2013 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Red will darken all of the sky; a polarizer will only darken part of it (and to varying degrees).

Orange and yellow are useful in B&W photography too. Yellow darkens sky a little, and makes for more natural images than filterless photography in some cases. Orange gives you a dark sky, but not super dramatic. Sometimes orange gives a more reasonable darkening than red. I use all three fairly routinely.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Red will darken all of the sky; a polarizer will only darken part of it (and to varying degrees).

Orange and yellow are useful in B&W photography too. Yellow darkens sky a little, and makes for more natural images than filterless photography in some cases. Orange gives you a dark sky, but not super dramatic. Sometimes orange gives a more reasonable darkening than red. I use all three fairly routinely.
    Can you use an amber 85B in place of an orange filter? Will it have similar effects? Obviously not exact but similar?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    Will a red darken it more?
    Depends on the angle of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    But will red darken green leaves and grass too much?
    Yes it will, more than likely wiping out important mid tones. B/W filtration with panchromatic films works by lightening like colors (e.g., red) and darkening complementary colors (e.g., green). Much better to preserve as much information as the light gives you with as little filtration as you need, addressing darkening skies during printing.

I am a really at a loss to understand why this desire for overly strong filtration, of late, keeps coming up. I can only think that there are a lot of posters who have come here from digital or have never learned proper usage of filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A polariser will have a varying degree of non-uniform darkening because the effect is not constant over a large angle relative to the position of the Sun. A red filter will have a uniform whole-image contrast-enhancing effect irrespective of anything else. POL is useful any time you have water in the image with perhaps a dramatic sky: the polariser can substantially enhance the reflections in e.g. still water more than a red filter. I don't fancy one filter over another (Red or POL) unless I have a specific need in mind of the image — both filters are extremely useful used competently.

Whether one wants a light or dramatic effect from either POL over a less impactful image with a red, yellow or green filter is an entirely personal preference. I fail to see how or why it should have anything to do with digital; a polariser will have the same effect in digital as it will in analogue.

DF

Which Filter is Better : Red or Polarizer ?

O.K., so you're at or near 90 degrees to the sun and you want to darken the sky but keep the clouds standing out. Will the red or polarizer (not stacked, by themselves) render the best sky? which will do best in the final print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin