Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,507   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Before I switched to FP4 I use to use Tri-X in preference to HP5. There is probably no difference, but Tri-X had that jena sa qua - Good luck.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was going over my secret stash of films and had a little surprise. I found 10 rolls of 400TX (new version, 135 mm) and 5 rolls of TX-400 (old version, 135 mm). Didn't know I had these hiding in the dark.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodak -400TX-box.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	72394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodak-400TX-andTX400-roll.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	72395 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodak-TX400-box.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	72396
    Gonna be extra fun to shoot with!!
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    I accidentally shot a broad-daylight picture at 1/30th, F/2. That would be 9 stops overexposed. I'd be lying if I said the picture was fine, but after a bit of darkroom effort, it was passable.

I don't find anything magic about modern Tri-X. It's a good film and economical in the form of Arista, but TMY is basically a better Tri-X.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I accidentally shot a broad-daylight picture at 1/30th, F/2. That would be 9 stops overexposed. I'd be lying if I said the picture was fine, but after a bit of darkroom effort, it was passable.

I don't find anything magic about modern Tri-X. It's a good film and economical in the form of Arista, but TMY is basically a better Tri-X.
    How do you think that +9 would have fared with TMY?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I couldn't say. Probably similar.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I never understood the fuss around 400TX while the 320TXP run circles around it, literally. It was and still is my favourite overall B&W film, point period. Whether it's darkroom enlarging or scanning the Tri-X 320 (320TXP - the proper Pan) is just heads and shoulders above the common and vasty overhyped Tri-X 400 (400TX) that looks rather tonally "gutless" and "sterile" in comparison IMHO. Ironically the 400TX somehow managed to get "critical mass" of hype while the vastly better (IMO) 320 version that has better dynamic range, more shadow and highlight info, less grain and also much nicer-looking grain was always little known and not so widely available.

And look what's happening now - 400TX is still produced while 320TXP got dropped by Kodak and ironically never was advertised like the limited 400 version - (probably the cost of producing the 400 was less than 320 thus it ment less profit?)

Anyways, this particuar Tri-X case definitely proves we live in a (over)hype-based society where a simple practice or just common sense has very little relevance on what's being produced.

For me the Tri-X is long dead (after the mighty 320 was discontinued by Kodak). I have a couple of rolls of 320TXP left and I value them as pure gold while the occasional couple of rolls ot 400TX (ASA1600 diafine is usable for some applications) I have is worth like the usual copper in comparison for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Tri-X too, but with a little work good pictures can be had with any film. Because I am curious, and because I know some people that have been extraordinarily kind to give me film for free, I can honestly say that TMax 400 and HP5+ gives me prints that I like equally much to those shot with Tri-X.
    Are there differences? Sure there are.
    Does it really make or break the picture? Hell no.

It is fun to talk about films and developers, but in the end it is mostly about the content, and you can get awesome prints from any of the films above.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I love Tri-X too, but with a little work good pictures can be had with any film. Because I am curious, and because I know some people that have been extraordinarily kind to give me film for free, I can honestly say that TMax 400 and HP5+ gives me prints that I like equally much to those shot with Tri-X.
    Are there differences? Sure there are.
    Does it really make or break the picture? Hell no.
    Indeed, Thomas. The main differences between films are granularity, and within a speed category (and grain type - ie tabular vs non-tabular) those differences tend to be pretty small. The gradation (tonality) characteristics of most current films in the ISO range of say 100-400 are very similar overall with few exceptions (such as TXP 320). Actually, in a "blind test", barring extreme procedures, I'd bet most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between say TX400 and HP5. I often wonder how/why it is people are so emphatic about certain films vs other films when they can never even state clearly what the differences are. You get a guy saying one film has incredible tonality vs another film which is terrible, when in fact the characteristic curves may be virtually identical. Strange how that works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like Thomas and Michael, I truly believe that (barring film that has been mishandled or abused) you can good prints from most any film.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    400TX is a great film. One of the best for sure. 320TXP is not discontinued its just only available in sheet format. Shoot some in 4x5.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin