Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 891

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Time-travel back to 1988...what were you using?--B&W

Just curious to see how much the last 25 years has changed the field of photography...

Just for fun!

Okay, back in 1988, what were you using for:
    (1) Top most-used camera?
    (2) Top most-used film?
    (3) Top most-used paper?
    (4) B&W enlarger, color enlarger, other printing equipment?

If 1988's too specific, we can just say "the 1980s". :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1988, I was a junior in high school, and was using:
    (1) Top most-used camera? Nikon F Photomic FTN with 43-86mm f/3.5 Zoom-Nikkor
    (2) Top most-used film? Whatever Kodacolor film my parents bought, if memory serves it was VR 200.
    (3) Top most-used paper? and (4) B&W enlarger, color enlarger, other printing equipment? Whatever the photo labs used then (I did not do my own processing and printing then).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Canon New F-1, Tech Pan, Ilford Galerie, Bogen 22A Special enlarger.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon FM2N and Minolta X-700. Film -- Ektachrome and Kodachrome.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 88 I was in india working on my first project. Good old time :-)
    1) 2 cameras under jacket : Rolleiflex T on the left, Rolleiwide on the right.
    An old Gossen Lunasix in the pocket.
    2) TXP 320 only. Souped in D76.
    3) Agfa Record Rapid and Neutol WA.
    4) Omega D2

Did I say good old times... ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 1988 I was 5 years old and just started Primary School. I had a Kodak Instamatic that took 126 film. If I was extremely extremely lucky my mum would let me even touch her Spotmatic and Takumars.

One day I was using it (with her very protectively hovering 5cm away) to take a landscape. I focussed at infinity then backed it off a bit. She asked me why I'd done that, and I replied that if what was in focus was between the two (f/) numbers on the focussing scale, then infinity would still be in focus and I'd get more foreground in focus.
    5-year old kid, and I'd independently figured out how to use Hyperfocal (of course, I only realised a few years ago that that's what the real term was and how/why it worked).

Anyway, my Instamatic. I took it everywhere, in the 80s to Sydney and Perth and all along the Great Ocean Road, the Grampians and Flinders' Rangers, even New Zealand (my family were big into camping). Also took it to Singapore/Europe/London/LA in 1990.

One day I was in the local national park in massive fog and snapped a shot of two swans on a lake. Sent it into the local ABC weather-photos segment, it got as far as a shortlist on 20 but didn't make the final cut of 12 for their annual calendar. Best I've ever done in a competition. Still have the photo on my wall, and the camera too, even if I can't get film for it. (One day I'll find the negative and hi-res scan it and inkjet print it).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skystrick View Post
    Just curious to see how much the last 25 years has changed the field of photography...

Just for fun!

Okay, back in 1988, what were you using for:
    (1) Top most-used camera?
    (2) Top most-used film?
    (3) Top most-used paper?
    (4) B&W enlarger, color enlarger, other printing equipment?

If 1988's too specific, we can just say "the 1980s". :-)
    The start of my high school experience.

1. Using an Olympus OM-10 and saving for a Nikon F4s which I bought summer of 89. I wanted AF and to do sports. The Nikon was good for either (but not both at the same time). I had a OM77af for a very brief time and quickly learned Olympus wasn't going to be a player in autofocus motor driven cameras. I put off buying a vehicle for a year or two to afford the camera and it was a good move.
    2. I started out using whatever the school gave me.. then changed to what I'm using right now to this day... Tmax 400 for a mix of personal and school use. Nobody else used it because it was slow to wash and responsive to changes in development. I wanted the finer grain.
    3. Polycontrast RC or Ilford Multigrade RC. Still using Ilford. Didn't care for the kodak printing on the back of the kodak paper.
    4. I used whatever they had in the school lab. I soon got setup myself with a used Omega Chromega-B dichroic from a deceased photographer. Still using it, though I've added a 4x5 enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (1) Ah...junior high school. Used my mom's Kodak 110 camera or my dad's Fuji point and shoot.
    (2) Probably Kodak colour film, don't know which kind.
    (3)(4) All film developed and printed at the lab. That being said, I was really curious about the abandoned darkroom at school (literally a closet), but we didn't have a class or club I could join to learn how to use it.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Nikon F2
    2. Tri-x
    3. Ilford FB
    4. Omega B-8, D-2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1.)AE-1-still have it
    2.)Kodachrome 25
    3.)n/a
    4.n/a

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin