Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,458   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

D11 for reversal processing

Hi!

I've made my first tests with a home-made D11 developer, following the instructions of "The Darkroom Cookbook": diluted 1:3 and processed between 12-15min at 20║C.
    Problem: everything looks underexposed, no matter the emulsion and the processing time... I've used Fomapan R100 and Adox Pan-X Reverso (same film as Agfa Scala, probably)
    Anyone else have tried D11 for making slides? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by avortex; 08-06-2013 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add more info

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    This is a cool project. In reveersal processes the first develope is key as it really determines what the second developer will have to work with after teh reversal step. To trouble shoot I would recommend running you D11 on a roll as a negative process (Dev, Stop, Fix etc....). Keeping your times as you would for the resersal process then evaluate the results. If all looks good then yoou can assume that the D11 is good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I looked at the recipe for D-11, and the problem with it, is fairly diluted and with no silver halide solvent to clear the highlights, resulting in dense slides.

Look at the formula below it.. #203..

It's D-76 + Sodium Thiosulphate (a solvent), yet it is used straight including the solvent for only a slightly shorter time.

D-11 at 1:3 vs D-76 stock + Thiosulphate that is

1/6th the carbonate akali
    1/6th the metol
    Nearly half the hydroquinone
    No solvent (vs 15g/L of sodium thiosulphate)

There's no way that D-11 recipe would give good slides without a solvent added, or highly elevated temperatures.

Get some sodium thiosulphate, or some sodium or potassium thiocyanate to add to it, then you'll see much better results.

Though I would use the D-67 recipe published myself (D-19 + thiocyanate) but with much reduced sulphite.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses!

I'll try D-19 (or D-67) as soon as temperatures go down again (It's REALLY WARM now here in Spain). D-76 is another option, but I assume that the contrast will be reduced...

I had great succes with Agfa Neutol and Tetenal Dokumol in the past (with and without solvent), but I was trying the D11 developer because it was recommended by David Wood from Dr5. and I wanted to make my own chemicals to have a processing routine without depending on the availability of commercial solutions.

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dokumol has worked well for me without solvent with Foma R100 and Shanghai GP3.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, Andy. Dokumol is great, but it tends to be too contrasty with some emulsions...
    By the way, Foma R100 is a thing of beauty both in super-8 and 35mm slides

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D11 and D8 are very high contrast developers. They are most often used straight rather than diluted. Dan is correct in his statements. You should beef up the first developer and add a solvent.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, That D11 looks like a bad recipe...

I'll make experiments with D19 and D67, as well as change the D11 dilution. Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! I'll try diluting it just 1:1. Another question: For how long can I keep the D11 after is mixed (not diluted)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin