Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Forte Polywarmtone advice

I have a package of 10 sheets of Forte Polywarmtone FB Plus (16x20/semi-matte) that I bought on a whim a few years ago but never got around to using. I'm trying to identify a project to use it on and would like to make the most of my limited supply by avoiding unnecessary experimentation. My intent is to do smaller prints (8x10 or smaller) to stretch my stock.

Does anyone want to opine on the following questions?

1) Preferable paper developers? I typically use D-72 1+2 mixed from scratch and just started to use Formulary 130 1+1. However, I have chemicals on hand to mix up most of the developers in the Darkroom cookbook.

2) Comparison to other papers? I have been printing on MGWT quite a bit recently and would be interested in knowing how Polywarmtone compares.

3) Toning preferences? I typically tone for 3-5 minutes in KRST 1+9 to get rid of any green tone and increase Dmax, but occasionally do some toning in gold and/or thiocarbamide.

Thanks in advance!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I can only comment on 2 and 3.
    2: Polywarmtone doesn't compare. It's unique.
    3: Polywarmtone tones like hell compared to other papers. Maybe variotone (designed for toning) comes close.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessio6x6.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	72524It used to be my favourite paper. Unfortunately i'm not a fine art printer. I developed it with Ilford multigrade developer and the results were ok.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the image enclosed has been printed on the forte polywarmtone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    can't comment on 1 and 2, but i can recommend toning in selenium, it's absolutely beautiful. be careful though not to overdo it! you're lucky to have a package...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my main paper, I still have quite a bit left from the last production run.

I make up my own ID-78 which was an Ilford powdered PQ warmtone developer pre-dating Ilford Multigrade Warmtone by quite a few years. Ilford Multigrade Warmtone developer or Agfa Neutol WA give similar results.

It's a very flexible paper, you can vary the warmth significantly with exposure & development time, I keep development to a minimum to maximise warmth.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    lith print it!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It tones very well with all toners, but borderline violently. It reacts very strongly to all sorts of toners.

Moersch carbon toner is my favorite for this paper. You don't have to bleach, it acts like a direct toner. Gives a very beautiful tonality and slight warm character to the print, but without being gaudy.
    I've also tried it with Moersch MT-3 variable sulfide toner, and with the bleach diluted 1+100, bleached for only 20 seconds, and re-developed at the darkest red setting, it takes care of a lot of the green quality you seek to eliminate. If you follow up with Selenium it can almost explode in color before your eyes, so be careful if you duo-tone.
    Regular sepia toner works like MT-3 above, but at the most yellow setting, and can look great, but is not for everything. Definitely not a preference of mine, but others may like it.
    Selenium - be careful here. Work with very dilute toner to begin.

Have fun! It's wonderful paper.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 08-07-2013 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ansco 130 is my favorite developer for PWT. I tone it in KRST 1+19 for just a minute or two. I don't really want to see the print change tone, as it's perfect with just the developer.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Don't be surprised if its fogged. Been a long time since it was produced.
    RJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin