Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format

Removing emulsion ( intact with image) from glass plate negatives?

I enquire on behalf of a friend, who has recently acquired a box of photographic negatives (around 50 years old) on Ilford HP3 glass plates (9x12). These are to be used as part of an art installation.

While the plates can be used as they are after cleaning, we noticed that the emulsion is lifting from the edges in some places, and wondered if it would be possible to remove the entire image from the glass plate.

Another thread here at APUG provides some information about doing so with roll film (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...roy-image.html) but it might be helpful to know if anyone has already tried it with glass plates of this age, and - if successful - what techniques were employed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear pdeeh,

NO ITS ABSOLUTELY NOT POSSIBLE, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT....

It is possible to remove the emulsion by soaking, but it has no inherent strength whatsoever and will break up and be lost forever.

I understand that the negatives are exposed, before even cleaning them I advise you print the images ( or contact print them ) onto photo paper to preserve the image.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks Siimon.
    If I post the box details, with any batch numbers etc, would it be possible to date the material?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Pdeeh,

No it will not be possible, if you take a photo of the box and post it I should be able to approximately date it.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry it has been so long Simon, but here are images of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hp3_1.jpg   hp3_2.jpg   hp3_3.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin