Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,282   Online: 811

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lethal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Eat enough tomatoes and they'll kill you too... or table salt, or even water. But other than neurotoxins or bullets, nothing is going to drop you where you stand. Even neurotoxins would have to be administered in a pretty high dose to kill you in seconds.
    One should add, the effort of trying to buy a neurotoxin might kill you before you have it to inject. Those things don't lie around on the open market (thankfully!). If you are a vet or anaesthetist, your chances might be slightly better, though.

You could, on the other hand, come visit me in South Africa, and I'll introduce you to a black mamba which would save you all the trouble.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Calomel is mercurous chloride, Hg2 Cl2, and is relative benign but eventually harmful if you eat enough of it.
    Good catch... my bad...

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is a fact that in all of photographic history, more photographers have been killed by photo-chemical poisoning that have been killed in a 100 square foot area in Detroit in 1 month.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I frequently have black widow spiders hiding somewhere behind the darkroom sink. They can certainly inject you with something painful or even potentially lethal. One more reason to keep the rubber gloves on, even when doing a minor plumbing repair.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    It is a fact that in all of photographic history, more photographers have been killed by photo-chemical poisoning that have been killed in a 100 square foot area in Detroit in 1 month.
    Do many people get killed in this 100 square foot area in Detroit in one month?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I suppose that just depends on which 100 square foot area you're referring to: a particular one, or any selected at random? Still, that sort of ominous comparison doesn't sound appealing to any photographer. Are you attempting to steer us to digital?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Elemental Mercury has a hing vapor pressure and the fumes formed thereby are quite toxic.

PE
    Makes me wonder what the stuff I played with as a kid was. Grandpa had some in a jar and I used to play with it for hours on the back steps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Makes me wonder what the stuff I played with as a kid was. Grandpa had some in a jar and I used to play with it for hours on the back steps.
    Oh, I'm sorry to tell you then that you are dead.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Our family dentist when I was a little kid (50+ years ago) would shine up a dime with a little mercury and give it to us if we behaved.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I think that it would be inappropriate to continue with this thread. Really.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin