Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,292   Online: 766

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lethal?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Personally I wonder who gets on here and starts these doomsday threads. You'd think we were working with Kryptonite.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's talk about how lethal general anaesthetics are. This thread has become too tame...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Personally I wonder who gets on here and starts these doomsday threads. You'd think we were working with Kryptonite.
    On the other hand I gave myself asthma by blow-drying freshly coated platinum prints for 5 years...and not wearing a good dust mask. Not lethal, and a minor case, but still there.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    One should add, the effort of trying to buy a neurotoxin might kill you before you have it to inject. Those things don't lie around on the open market (thankfully!).
    Oh yes they do! For example, here in the U.S., Malathion, an organophosphate, is available to any adult in sizes up to a quart of 50% solution at places like K-Mart. Sevin, a carbamate, is another very popular neurotoxin insecticide available almost anywhere, as liquid or powder. Both are cholinesterase inhibitors, like for example, Sarin nerve agent, and Sarin has in its function similarities to both. Sarin, however, is extremely toxic, while neurotoxin insecticides are much less toxic, in a comparable dose.

Malathion and Sevin are considered to have low toxicity at specified use concentrations- e.g., Sevin is used on animals to kill fleas, mites, etc. But the concentrations (active ingredient/inert ingredient ratio) at which they can be purchased is much higher. Mishandling those concentrates can easily be deadly, and any adult can acquire those concentrates over the counter.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Malathion is not very toxic in moderate doses, but it can be easily converted into a severe poison by a simple treatment.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two college photo profs of mine died. One from Parkinson's and the other died from brain cancer. Don't know of it's caused from photo chems. But toxic chemicals will slowly kill you if you get too cozy with them.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have nearly 2000 Kodak researchers who worked for years with these chemicals and who stubbornly refuse to die of anything strange outside of normal statistics so I doubt if there is a really big problem.

Grant Haist himself, the most "hands on" person I know is about 92.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Malathion...can be easily converted into a severe poison by a simple treatment.

PE
    I was not aware of that, PE.

To distill my main point in the previous post, neurotoxins are readily available, and in concentrations which can be lethal if mishandled.
    With Malathion, the most commonly used ratio of carrier to active ingredient is 256:1. The ratio when used as a fog is 256:11.
    The ratio of the concentrate is 1:1.

Sometimes a much smaller amount is used. Medfly aerial Malathion spraying over urban areas used a sweet, sticky bait, and was applied at the rate of one ounce per acre- probably a carrier/a.i. ratio of over a thousand to one.

Not trying to scare anybody- I've had a California Qualified Applicator Certificate for decades, and am experienced in chemical use. I don't fear the chemicals I've used, but I do respect them. A QAC doesn't make a person conscientious, but it does establish a responsible party who faces sanctions and possible prosecution for improper storage, handling, or application.
    Pesticides are much better controlled now, and practices are much better, also. When I was about 15 and living in a rural area in California's Central Valley, we received heavy wind drift of Parathion. We were all very sick, including our animals, and our goldfish died. There were sick birds outside on the lawn, some dying. Nowadays, profligate and irresponsible applications such as were common then would mean prosecution and lawsuits. Back then, it was just "Oops".
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-08-2013 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The discovery of the more toxic version of Malathion was made in CA, when many orchard workers became sick due to this simple chemical conversion. The toxicity of Malathion can be increased manyfold and it cam become very toxic to humans.

I was sprayed many times in FL when at the Cape. They misted us by land and air.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit off topic but Agatha Christie fans should get a copy of "The Poisonous Pen of Agatha Christie" by Michael C Gerald. Christie worked as a pharmacist and nurse during WWI. She later was to use poison in roughly half of her novels. This book discusses each of the poisons used. Her favorite was arsenic trioxide, colorless, odorless, and tasteless and easily soluble in a cup of hot chocolate.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin