Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,593   Online: 1285

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lethal?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Lethal?

I'm curious, after so many years of working with a wide range of raw photographic chemicals which readily obtainable common photographic chemical if ingested would prove to be most lethal?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    short or long term?

Consider a book I think that is called 'Overexposure'. I have a copy somehwere on my photo reference bookshelf at home.
    The author's name does not spring to mind at present. She wrote it in mid 70's when a lot more wet chemistry careers were in the workforce.

Most of the toner metal salts are pretty nasty to the body over time.

Raw selenium can do you in in just about no time.

Soduim and Potassuim Hydroxides are no peach either.

I would consider looking at other entry routes other than just ingested, but LD50 oral is the number you are talking about in your post.

I print off the simplified MSDS page for each raw chem I buy and put them in a prominently labelled binder I have poited out to my wife so she knows about it.
    The entries are filed alphabettically by the name I put on the storage bottle.

Oxford Physical Chemistry has a great simpliifed msds data base availabe for free, that is the basis for most of my MSDS pages. I want to know about the short form risks, not the 10 pages to say how to label it in 50kg drums for fire fighting purposes.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you planning on tasting some or do you want to poison someone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on minimum lethal dosages. Straight ingestion, it doesn't take much Pyrogallol. Catechol, strong acids and bases, Selenium, PPD. Of course there are others less readily available, and things can have long term effects in lower doses, particularly with repeated exposure over time. Not only that but direct ingestion is not the only risk. Inhalation of vapours and dust during mixing of dry chemicals. And some compounds (like Pyro for example) are absorbed through the skin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those photograhic chemicals are nothing compare to the drugs I use during the 60's and the 70's

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Although no longer commonly available or widely used in photo processing, I'd rank cyanide and uranium at the top, with mercury following close behind. After those, anything that's a strong acid or strong base (blixes for color processes are pretty nasty).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Dichromates aren't much fun either, a couple grams is all it takes to kill... and the solution looks just like tasty orange kool-aid.
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Sodium and Potassium Hydroxides are no peach either.
    Funny thing about Sodium Hydroxide is that it can be neutralized into something much less nasty with another nasty chemical, Hydrochloric Acid. We did this as an experiment in High School chemistry.

NaOH + HCl -> NaCl + H2O.

This is far less nasty unless you live in California, where H2O was nearly banned because one of it's more ominous sounding names is "Dihydrogen monoxide."
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I saw a youtube video of the Weston Brothers being interviewd, their fingers were black from putting in chemicals.
    They were waving them around almost as a badge of honour, which for the time would be cool, but after years of working in trays I now wear glove and my hands are getting better.

There was a time about 12 years ago that I was getting rashes on my hands which I attribute to working dev, stop, fix hypo clear without gloves.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It's interesting that the US generation who won WWII were exposed to all the materials we are now afraid of and only about half the newest generation make it through high school.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin