Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,402   Online: 1018

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

How Do I Clean Pec-12 Residue off My Neg?

Hi Everyone,
    While printing today I discovered a single strand of hair that was stuck on the emulsion side of one of my 6x7 negs. It would not come off with the hurricane blower I usually use to blow off negs before inserting them into the enlarger. So I took a cotton Q-tip and spritzed some Pec-12 cleaner on it and swabbed the area. The good news is the hair came off, the bad news is I either had too much cleaner or I rubbed too hard and I now have a oval shaped residue on the neg that shows up in the print. What would be the best way (if any) to clean this? This is a frame on a strip of three so I imagine I will have to soak in photo flo and let it dry for a few hours. I don't mind, it is kind of an important neg. Thanks for replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find that actually using some more PEC-12 will bring it back into solution and rid you of your problem...I've never had this issue with PEC-12 though, and I'm pretty liberal in my application of it when I have a neg that needs it.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same here, I've been impressed with PEC-12. I would say clean it again, but be gentle, it is just film.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You definitely need to be careful rubbing too hard with PEC-12. It will take the emulsion off of prints and film. You will probably want to check on a light table or with a loupe to make sure you didn't remove some of the emulsion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try re-cleaning it again. I did look closely and I don't think I rubbed off any of the emulsion but I may have added a scratch...it was hard to tell because in the time that the liquid was drying some dust appears to have settled on it. In the print this area shows up as a oval shaped patch of gray in a different shade of the actual neg along with a darker edge around it. I was thinking maybe dipping it in rubbing alcohol but I'll try another application of PEC-12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    next time may i gently suggest just re-washing the whole neg instead of chemical cleaners....if a hair is stuck, even just by water residue, taking it off any other way is going to leave a mark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Summicron - rewash next time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin