Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,351   Online: 1226

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Problem with Sepia Toning

I was toning four prints last night which were all previously fixed (2 bath), hypo cleared and washed properly. Three of them re-developed in the sepia (Moersch MT3) correctly but one failed to come back to anything resembling its original density. I know a little highlight density can be lost after sepia toning but this one was way too light.

Any ideas what has happened here?

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exhausted toner?

The toner does have a definite capacity. Did you mix it fresh, or is it an old mix? You could test it by bleaching back another image and redeveloping it in regular developer. If it develops back in the developer, but not in the toner, it's highly likely your toner is exhausted.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Exhausted toner?

The toner does have a definite capacity. Did you mix it fresh, or is it an old mix? You could test it by bleaching back another image and redeveloping it in regular developer. If it develops back in the developer, but not in the toner, it's highly likely your toner is exhausted.
    Hi Thomas, no the toner was fine as this one was the second print toned. The first, third and fourth toned fine.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. So all other things being equal, print #2 of four did not tone properly. Something must have happened to that individual sheet.
    Is there a chance it got contaminated or introduced to fixer somehow?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I seriously doubt it as I'm very meticulous about how I print.

The prints were fully washed a few days ago when printed and I had no fixer present last night while toning.

Its not a major issue as I have enough prints from the other three. I was just curious as to what may have caused it.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    I seriously doubt it as I'm very meticulous about how I print.

The prints were fully washed a few days ago when printed and I had no fixer present last night while toning.

Its not a major issue as I have enough prints from the other three. I was just curious as to what may have caused it.
    I wasn't implying that you are a sloppy printer. Knowing about you for many years I expect the contrary.

I'm just brainstorming, trying to come up with ideas of what might have happened. It is pretty clear that this individual sheet is affected somehow, since it was treated the same way as the other three. So it could either be a manufacturing error, (although if it developed properly the first time, I sincerely doubt it), or something happened to it along the process. If it had been exposed to fixer somehow before getting toned, that would have prevented it from being re-developed. I'm trying to think of what else might cause that to happen, but like you I'm stumped.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I wasn't implying that you are a sloppy printer. Knowing about you for many years I expect the contrary.
    Oh I know you weren't implying anything lake that Thomas. Your imput as usual is much appreciated
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's been close to 40 years since I sepia toned a print so I cannot offer any technical explanation but I know when something I routinely do doesn't come out right there is usually a simple reason. Perhaps you were distracted and pulled the print too soon.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    It's been close to 40 years since I sepia toned a print so I cannot offer any technical explanation but I know when something I routinely do doesn't come out right there is usually a simple reason. Perhaps you were distracted and pulled the print too soon.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Yes anything is possible Jeffrey. I have a few more prints of the same subject so will tone them in the same toner at my next session and see if the problem re-appears.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance the problem print was in the bleach for much longer than the rest?

Or did some selenium toner invade your process while you weren't looking?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin