Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,696   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Daniel,
    What do you mean by "brush processing"?
    Brush processing is actually an old method used (and invented) by Astonomers when they used sheet film. They had serious issues with uneven development (which caused false readings) so they came up with brush development.

The procedure simply means that a sheet of film is placed emulsion side up in a tray and you, literally, paint the negative using a soft brush. The idea is to have the chemicals sort of forced into the emuslion in an even fashion although you apply very little force to the neg. The weight of the brush is sufficient pressure. Paint the neg from top to bottom/left to right througout the dev time. I use a very soft painter's brush that is 2" wide or so.

This can only be done with one neg at a time. I use 8x10 trays and 400ml of chemicals per 8x10 neg.

There's nothing to it and the results speak or themselves. As a test, take a couple shots of a scene with lots of clear blue sky. Do one sheet using your normal dev procedure and one with brush dev. You'll immediately see the difference when you print both. One will have uneven, smoky sky , the other a clear one.

Try it, you'll like it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB
    I am also curious'...... Where do you place the Green inspection light ? Barrie B.
    Look up a very well written procedure on the AZO forum by Michael A. Smith. Paula (Chamlee... the nicest photographer I've ever met) taught me the procedure in her (and Michael's) darkroom and it has way too many advantages to use any other procedure, IMO.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I appreciate the explanation, I am by no means new to dark room work,
    but had never heard of "brush Developing" . I have used the technique in the past, but didn't know it had a name. See now I am an old trick that just learned a new dog! Errr something like that! :-)

Thanks again!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin