Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,037   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dev by Inspection - How do you NOT scratch the film?

Hi all,

I have experimented with developing sheet film by inspection for about 3 weeks now. I managed to increase from 1 sheet as a starting point, to 2 and 3 sheets. Then for the heck of it, I threw 6 of them in there to see how it went, and they all came out scratched. There were two different types of film in there, FP4+ and J&C400. The Ilford sustained better, because of its prehardened emulsion, but there were still tiny scratches, especially in images with clear sky and/or snow or large flat surfaces (I guess they are just more visible there).

I've tried developing with the emulsion up and down, been using different amounts of developer, and I shuffle from bottom to top, in a constant pattern of roughly 3 to 4 rotations per minute.
    I should mention that I'm very happy with the results apart from the scratches.

What am I doing wrong? Have you any secret techniques?

Thankful for help,

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, MN
    Last edited by huggyviking; 01-25-2005 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Completing post.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is not specifically a DBI issue, but a tray development issue. You might decide with the East European films to go with an alternate method of development. You can still do DBI easily with tanks and hangers.

Make sure you have enough solution in the tray and that the tray is one size bigger than the format. I like trays that have a single large "X" pattern on the bottom, and I'm not sure why, but stainless trays seem to be more trouble free.

Wear surgical gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals and to protect the film from your fingernails.

I process face up. Keep the stack together, and when you pull out the bottom sheet, pull it straight out of the stack, so that the bottom sheet isn't scratched by the corner of the sheet above it. When you put the bottom sheet onto the top of the stack, bend the leading edge of the sheet up a bit and pass it from the front of the tray to the back in a sweeping motion. There are good illustrations of this in Ansel Adams' _The Negative_.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David's given some great advice. To it I would only emphasize being sure to have enough developer in the tray. When I first began tray development I found that my scratch issues came from too little developer. Now I can develop 8-12 sheets of Efke at a time without a problem. I also use a tray with inverted ribs so that they point downward. For what it's worth, J&C 400's emulsion seems to be even softer than Efke.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Personnaly, I go the long way around. I process each sheet of (8x10) film separately using DBI and brush processing in a tray with 400ml of solution. Not only are there NO scratches, but the "uneven sky syndrome" (aka blotting) is completely gone.

I used to process 6 sheets at a time but never could get scratches and/or blotting under total control. One sheet at a time may seem inconvenient but given how much time it takes to get a scene onto film in the first place, the extra minutes are insignificant overall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is just a matter of practice with 6 sheets. The first time I had some scratches, but after that I haven't had any.

With 8x10+ film sizes I would personally look into brush development, but that's because I can comfortably hold the 5x7 film in one hand.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-26-2005 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the suggestions...

...I'll be making another attempt tonight.

I have been wondering to myself if it really is recommendable to develop more than a few sheets at a time. Maybe I need more practice.
    When I think about it, it's hard for me to keep track of up to six sheets at the same time anyway.

I'll try steel trays, as a close inspection of the plastic trays I have reveales small scratches at the bottom, barely identifyable.
    I'll also be using more developer in the tray. I've been using an 8x10 tray for 4x5 negs, which is overkill in ernest. I'll be getting some 5x7 trays.

Thanks,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Work up to 6 sheets. If you've been able to do 3 sheets successfully, try 4. I do up to 8 sheets of 8x10". Jock Sturges has been known to do up to 16 sheets in trays. I find it easier to do more sheets, usually, because each sheet is handled less that way.

An interesting suggestion that I've read, but haven't tried yet, is to put a strip of wood under the far edge of the trays, so that the sheets will naturally fall toward you and not get out of control.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You may want to slow down your shuffling. If I understood you correctly, you shuffle through 3-4 per minute? Try only once per minute. Your times will be a little longer, but the slower speed allows better control of the sheets during shuffling.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daniel,
    What do you mean by "brush processing"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am also curious' What is BRUSH PROCESSING ? And [B]Where do you place the Green inspection light ? Barrie B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin