Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1066

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Be aware that there are not only two basic systems of plastic reels: "true" ratched type with balls (Paterson) and "manual" ratching (Jobo).

But also clones of both systems. And even from Jobo there are two versions (old and current) that differ in material and design.
    The Paterson Reels seem to have an industry of "cloners" around them. I have one tank made in Hong Kong with its own reels, as well as several of both the Old and New versions of the AP tanks. They all varry in ease of Loading. The AP "compact" series reels do have the Guide flange to help guide 120 film in. They are also of Slightly slicker plastic than the AP "classic" reels. most of the Paterson Made reels are in between the two as far as 'Slickness"

Jobo reels come in at least three variations, the 1000, 1500 and 2500 series. I have only used the first two. The 1500 reels are very "Slick" and as AgX says they don't have the rachet mechnism, which allows for easing the end of the film back a bit if it gets stuck.

the Jobo 1000 series are also fairly "slick"

The Jobo reels have a "Thumb slot" on the side, and tapping on the edge of the film at those slots will let you straighten the film to the center of the spiral. I find that once about three of the sprial slots are full, that the film is then straight enough to to feed quickly by just pushing it into the reel.

I also find that leaving the Tape on the end of the 120 film, provides extra stiffness for the all critical initial line up of the film. You have to be careful that you don't leave a sticky part of the tape exposed.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, guys, for all the replies. All much appreciated. Keep them coming!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use patterson reels.

Second the recommendation to not get photo-flo on the spirals. Give them a good wash in dilute bleach, run a soft pencil round the groove and it should be nice and slick again.

However, practice, practice. I prefer not to use the tape end. I sort of hold the reel with the entry tags directly under my finger and thumb and have got used to sort of "sliding" the end of the film down my finger and thumb so the edges drop neatly into the entry to the reel. I use a three finger grip on the film with my right hand with edges held by thumb and middle finger and my first finger is then free to guide the centre of the film. I also reverse bend the first 1/4" of the film slightly. Difficult to describe but I now get the end in 1st time 50% of the time and second time 90%. With only occasional struggle.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a thread devoted to the differences between the old and current design of the Jobo reels:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...new-style.html

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But hewes stainless reels. Do not pass go.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like others have said. Practice and pencil trick is what made the difference. Now I can load 2 x 120 rolls on single reel. I've no issues with photo flow. I just make sure I rinse the reels well in hot water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Like others have said. Practice and pencil trick is what made the difference. Now I can load 2 x 120 rolls on single reel. I've no issues with photo flow. I just make sure I rinse the reels well in hot water.
    I always remove the film then seesaw the film in a bowl of photo flow separately, never have problems with the reels.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I always remove the film then seesaw the film in a bowl of photo flow separately, never have problems with the reels.
    This is easy to do with 120, much more difficult with long, tangle-prone 35mm....
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One can just twist open a plastic reel with film, turn it over and let the film fall into a container with final rinse.

So, one has to distinguish whether this procedure or doing the final rinse with the film still on the reels, twisting them open and taking up the film from the lower reel is running less chance to scratch the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck with Paterson reels. Mine are so old, over thirty years, that they must be the genuine article. As others have said the reels must be absolutely clean and dry. I run mine disassembled through the dishwasher, top rack, and then blast them with a hair dryer just before use. So far, no problems.... BTW, for whatever reason my past mojo for loading 35mm on SS reels has deserted me. So I do 35mm on the Paterson also.

I do find that the lid can be difficult to unscrew sometimes. I wonder if just the tiniest smear of silicone grease on the threads would help. The stuff used for O rings in faucets doesn't seem to migrate at hot water heater temperatures. Any thoughts out there?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin